HVAC register Fire Damper question

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Okay... I don't "need" a fire damper in this room, but I want one. (We're talking a private residence with a small rental space).
I understand there are two types ("static" and "dynamic") which is applicable on an 80,000 btu furnace system?

and - if I want to install it right at a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 wall register, in a 2x4 wall (with a couple of extra inches behind the wall) - is that possible? How is it done? Can you point me to the damper/register that would work here?

Thanks!

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Fire dampers for stand-alone are dynamic set at 165* to close when going through a wall 1.5" angle iron mounts damper to wall. You would want a fire rated wall to mount them in.
https://www.grainger.com/product/2T...6KcgCoydh8QOS_YmEyRoCqDEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Okay - but that one, for example, is 16 x 16 and too deep for a 2x4 wall. If a fire damper penetrates the fore wall AT the fire wall, how do people install something like that? There's "nothing" that "combines" a register and fire damper? - or a standard process for (what must be?) a common need?

Fitter30

Reaction score
They make different sizes of dampers haven't seen one for like a floor register. They are installed in 1 or 2 hour fire rated walls. Standard 1/2" drywall is rated for 30 minutes . What are you trying to accomplish.

ChuckGM

Reaction score
They make different sizes of dampers haven't seen one for like a floor register. They are installed in 1 or 2 hour fire rated walls. Standard 1/2" drywall is rated for 30 minutes . What are you trying to accomplish.
I have a one hour wall. If the the 1 hour wall is penetrated, the damper is supposed to be at the point of penetration. I want to know how they accomplish that in a 2x4" wall - and I'm hoping someone can point me at where I can find an appropriate damper/register boot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks