Hunter Spray Head - More than 360?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I'm overhauling my irrigation system and I just bought some new Hunter 4" Pro-Spray bodies with green PDC-12A nozzles (stands for Precision Distribution Control, 12' radius/distance). I have installed the bodies and flushed them, and started putting in the nozzles. The nozzle is supposed to be adjustable from 0 (zero) to 360 degrees. But when I look at them, I'm confused: they appear to adjust for more than 360. Pictures show it better:

Here is the nozzle (I colored the raised dot with a red Sharpie so I could see it more easily when installing and adjusting):
IMG_6959 (Large).JPG

Here it is, almost fully closed (zero degrees):
IMG_6961 (Large).JPG

Here it is after opening one full turn (360 degrees):
IMG_6964 (Large).JPG

But that is not as far as it can open! It can turn open another approximately 270 degrees. Here it is, all the way open:
IMG_6968 (Large).JPG

Here I've repositioned it so that you can see both sides of the "stops" (can't seem to stop this photo from rotating - sorry about the orientation):
IMG_6970 NEW (Large).JPG

So does this spray head open more than 360? If I want to use it for 180 degrees, how do I do it properly? I'm guessing that I open it something more than a half turn since 360 degrees is 1 3/4 turns! For the one that is already installed, I'm not seeming to get a lot of spray out if it.

(By the way, not to lead the discussion astray, but I did not ask for these nozzles from my irrigation supplier. They talked me into them saying they were a lot better than a few years ago and don't tend to "walk open" over time any more. I'm aware that a lot of people don't like them and they tend to clog more easily. I may just take them back and ask for the fixed spray nozzles I wanted in the first place.)

Thanks in advance for all the good help you folks always provide!
Carol

Last edited:

Cfipp

Reaction score
Got wet in the process, but now know that one half turn counterclockwise is all it takes to get 180. Anything beyond a full turn just adds volume to 360.

I also know that I don't like these spray heads at all and will be exchanging them on Monday.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks