How to test if your waterproofing material has frozen

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My last thread talked about preventing freezing in shipping. But how can you tell if a material did freeze? I have no clue.

Any ideas?

My iPhone crapped out on me. Got wet last weekend in the rain when I was a line's man at my daughter's soccer tournament (they won gold! - even after my call that gave the opposing team the throw in which lead to a quick goal! %$%^&$). I took the phone to Bell, the guy looked at it and said no signs of water damage go to the Apple store for a new phone. Went there and the guy opened up the phone to show me these little with cirlces or stickers. They had a red dot on them. The red dot says that the phone got wet. No warranty for you sir!

Son of a %^&%*

Too bad they don't have little stickers on the waterproofing buckets and containers. If you see a red dot you know the product froze. No dot - good to go.

Maybe the product could change colour if it froze?

I sense a little test coming on. time to freeze these items and see what happens. Maybe there is a simple test that could be devised to figure this out....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I just hung up with Ardex Techincal and was once again quite impressed with the technology behind this 8+9 product. The liquid once frozen and thawed gets thick. Not as liquidly as normal. So if your liquid is looking a little too thick and not flowing well - chances are the liquid froze and is no good.

I also send an email out the Mapei asking the same question. I wonder if they use similar technology for their Aquadefence and HPG products. ???

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Bang - Excellent response time from Mapei as well. got this info from them just now.

A classic example would be “separated looking” material. Really runny, and if you can’t stir it back into normal consistency.

It shouldn’t be frozen obviously, but in the off chance that it did or is unknown: test apply.

Of course, a unit needs to opened to evaluate whether there’s some freezing damage, or to test it (IE, does it dry on time, and resemble in-spec material when dry).

I'm glad there is simple observations to find out the answer. Now I guess this is good for those of us that use these products all the time.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
nice fast response times.

i have indeed had coagulated lumpy hydrobarrier before. frozen in transit no doubt. and well then the date code was out as well. found that out at the jobsite . lost a good chunk $ that day.

who can you trust these days? !!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not sure. Trust in yourself for looking into everything by yourself.

My client in Terrace wants the product shipped out tomorrow. I will not have the little heating pads so I'm going to do a good job wrapping up the box with rigid foam.

Order four of the pads for future orders.

I like the idea of keeping a cooler in the back of the truck for my Ardex 8 Liquid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks