How to tackle leak between solenoid and valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by binary_pattern, May 15, 2019.

1. binary_pattern

binary_pattern New Member

Has anyone dealt with this kind of leak before (please view short video that I have shared here)?
    My plumber is slammed for the next few weeks, and I need this zone running. So I'm willing to try my hand at fixing it, but I'd be grateful for a experienced opinion (or three) as to what supplies and tools I will need and what steps will be involved.
    Alternatively, if you are in Albuquerque, NM and available to fix this for me at a reasonable rate before Memorial Day... please get in touch!

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    I googled "irrigation Albuquerque, NM" and three irrigation companies came up.

If you’re ok getting dirty, working in mud and a little plumbing, it’s easy. If you never did it just call an irrigation company, a plumber is not needed though any plumber can fix it. A good handyman can also repair it. The 3/4" fitting (PVC) on the pipe has cracked. If you notice the leak is right at where the irrigation box is notched out over the pipe. Over time walking on it, a riding mower, even vehicles pushes down on the box whereby the fitting finally breaks. A very common problem.

To fix it you need to remove the entire irrigation box to access the fitting. Dig around the pipe and valve, cut the section out, unthread the fitting. For parts you'll need a adapter, a nipple, PVC glue, PVC pipe, PVC pipe cutter or a hacksaw blade to cut the PVC pipe. The tricky part is the glueing up the cutout section. First thread the adapter to the valve and with a little teflon tape. Measure and cut the PVC pipe. Now if you never did this, this is where is get tricky to glue in the pipe. However, it is very easy to use a PVC Slide Repair Coupling and that takes a little skill to fit it in.

With parts in hand it take about an hour from start to finish. Maybe two hours if you never did any repairs to irrigation system.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. binary_pattern

binary_pattern New Member

Thank you for the rundown, Worth! Your step-by-step instructions are just what I was hoping for.