How to install nipple through hole in wall with only 1/4" protruding?

Users who are viewing this thread

M Hale

Reaction score
The plumber who did my rough in put in a female connection for my shower diverter, but after the tile guy finished it is about 2 1/2" behind the tile. The instructions for the finish plumbing says the nipple can only extend out 1/4"-3/8" past the tile. Not much to grab onto. I attached a sketch to describe what I am talking about.

Nipple installation problem.JPG

Any tips on how to do this?

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
What is in the female adapter now? Your drawing shows it as nothing there which would make it real easy; just add the nipple. measure from face of female adapter to face of finished wall and add 3/4" and that would be the size nipple needed.

M Hale

Reaction score
What is in the female adapter now? Your drawing shows it as nothing there which would make it real easy; just add the nipple. measure from face of female adapter to face of finished wall and add 3/4" and that would be the size nipple needed.
I was wondering how to determine what length nipple I needed. Couple that with the internal pipe wrench that PlumbNuts suggested, I am good to go. Thank you!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not use those internal pipe wrenches as Easy Outs.. they'll break.

Another, higher quality internal pipe wrench.

I use these all the time, Fit into smaller length nipples and are a bit heavier duty.

golden-grip-internal-pipe-wrench.jpg

GoldenGrip is the world's only self-locking, reversible, internal wrench. Use it with ratchets, extensions and impact wrenches, to get in fast and get the job done right the first time.

https://rectorseal.com/golden-grip-internal-pipe-wrench-group/

goldengrip.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I follow: the internal pipe wrench can only be used to install a nipple, and you need an Easy Out to remove the nipple?

Cheers, Wayne

The internal pipe wrench goes both ways. Installing new and uninstalling new nipples. It will break if you try to use it as an easy out to remove rusted steel nipples.. Been there done that on both types.

Should have provided the following.. why I mentioned it.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Do not use those internal pipe wrenches as Easy Outs.. they'll break.

Another, higher quality internal pipe wrench.

I use these all the time, Fit into smaller length nipples and are a bit heavier duty.
GoldenGrip is the world's only self-locking, reversible, internal wrench. Use it with ratchets, extensions and impact wrenches, to get in fast and get the job done right the first time.

https://rectorseal.com/golden-grip-internal-pipe-wrench-group/

goldengrip.jpg
I have a set of these. If you can get past the price, they are the absolute bomb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks