Hot water in toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

CameronG

Reaction score
Today I went downstairs to clean out the bathroom, which consists of toilet, shower and sink. The shower has not been used for at least a couple years, and then only very sporadically. Same with the toilet. The sink is used a bit more frequently, but still, not often. We will be having a guest soon, so I wanted to clean up the place, since she will be using the facilities. So, when washing the shower, I had it on, both hot and cold water, and it was fine. I ran the sink a bit as well, and then I switched the toilet seat to a bidet attachment. For what it's worth, I want the guest using the bidet and not flushing any paper, since it all goes to a lift pump and again, it's not used much at all. I had the angle stop off while switching out and installing the bidet attachment, and then turned it back on. This was the last thing I did in there, after cleaning the shower and floor, etc. The tank filled with hot water. So, no pipes have been rearranged, no chance of being hooked up to a hot water pipe, the angle stop is not leaking, the shower valve and sink valve are both working fine, i.e., hot side is hot, cold is cold, and neither of them are dripping. What could have happened to make the tank fill with hot water? Color me stumped...

Reach4

Reaction score
The original person could have run hot to the toilet on purpose, to prevent toilet tank sweating. Some use a thermostatic mixer to put in water a bit above room temperature to avoid sweating.

It is also possible that there is a crossover. If you turn off the WH valve, and the toilet will not fill, then the toilet is piped with hot. If the toilet fills fine with that valve closed, that would indicate a crossover.

While a bidet attachment reduces toilet paper usage, it does not eliminate it. The grinder pump in the pit should handle TP no problem. But if you are worried, consider RV toilet paper. It is much less strong.

There are countries where it is common to have a separate waste basket for the used TP to save the plumbing.

Caliber_Plumbing

Reaction score
That could be because of cross-connection, mixing valve issues, and pressure imbalance. You can consult with a professional for a thorough checkup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks