Hot Water Heater Pilot Won't Light

Users who are viewing this thread

Mudaero

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently moved my hot water heater. It was only moved about 5 feet. I re-piped the gas line and everything is setup as it was before the move. However, now the pilot won't light. It seems as if there is no gas going to pilot. What is odd is that if I remove the pilot supply line from the gas valve, I can hear and smell gas coming from the pilot inlet on the gas valve. But when I reconnect the line, it doesn't seem like any gas is getting through the line. I blew on the supply to verify it wasn't clogged and it is not. Any suggestions on what might be going on? Thanks for reading.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without seeing what you did:
- You could have a clogged orifice (the part that goes into the gas valve).
- You could have damaged the thread in the valve (made of semi soft metal). It's easy to mis thread.

If your water heater is under warranty, ask customer service for a new burner assembly or even a new gas valve, and see if that solves it.

If the WH is out of warranty you can find replacement parts online. Try repairclinic.com
If your WH is 10 years or older, start saving for a new WH. I would.

If this is your first time dealing with WH mfgs' customer service...be patient and persistent.

If you don't want to wait for parts and be without hot water for an extended period of time...and if you have the money - get a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks