Hot & Cold Water Under Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

anthonydad

Reaction score
I am involved with a golf course clubhouse project where the owner wants the hot & cold water piping installed under the slab. The building is located in the Northeast and is a single story, wood frame commercial occupancy with unheated attic & drywall screwed to the roof trusses.

Since the pipes would freeze in the attic, my recommendation is to install the piping in soffits below the ceiling. I am concerned about leaks under the slab & overall cost of running homeruns to each fixtures from a manifold. I won't install large branch & tee mains under the slab - too much liability. There are large shower & toilet rooms with flush valve fixtures, so the homeruns will be 1" in some instances.

Also, don't hot water lines need insulation under slabs? Seems like quite a heat loss travelling from the water heater to the fixtures in the cold earth.

The owner must be from California because we typically avoid running domestic water piping under slabs - we're used to basements or dropped ceilings.

Any comments/recommendations?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water leaks in slabs is a frequent topic. It is my nonprofessional opinion that installing pipes in a slab is one of the more stupid things that people do. It is not a question of "if" there is a leak, but "when". You only have to go back a couple of posts to read about the latest.

R

Rancher

Having lived in Calif, Ariz, and New Mex where 99% of the homes are built on slab, I know of only one person who has had a problem. They do make a poly sleave to provide some protection from the ground. I insulated my hot water and re-circ lines, but that is not normally done.

Rancher

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: Hot and Cold water under slab

If you are running copper dist. lines use Type K, bring them back to a central point, and do all your tie-ins ABOVE THE SLAB. If you're using PEX, or similar, I would do the same, no joints below grade, 'cause you may get leaks, and you are probably familiar w/those.

Good Luck,
Rudy

P.S. Be sure to sleeve the pipe where it comes up throught the concrete, with 1" pipe or larger 1-1/4" perhaps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks