Ho to reduce rushing water noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Stereo

Reaction score
We run soaker hoses for up to an hour to water our landscape. We barely turn on the outdoor pressure to keep the flow volume low through the rubber hoses. The sound of the running water is quite loud in the house. It may chiefly be due to the noise at the outdoor spigots carrying back through the pipes. Or maybe it’s the flow through the pipes, though again, the sound is loudest at the spigots. The faucets are fed before the pressure regulator for the in-house plumbing. When I checked decades ago, the pressure off the street was 100 psi.

How can I reduce the noise, or preferably silence the pipes?

Thanks for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Soaker hoses don't use much volume of water. Using a faucet to control the pressure from 100 PSI to 5 for the soaker hoses will cause a lot of noise. You need a globe style valve to be more quiet. You could put a pressure reducing valve before the faucet. Dropping the pressure to the faucet from 100 to maybe 20 will make a lot of difference in the noise. You can also just get a globe valve to use after the faucet and just leave the faucet wide open.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
put regulator on the the soaker hose, maybe try a cheap rv one that screws on the hose I think they are around 30 psi but dont know also a inexpensive 3/4 inch threaded regulator could be used with hose adapters it might work better I think you might be able to go that second way for under 100 bucks (parts arent that cheap) I thought about a regular 3/4 regulator and screwing in a 3/4 mip x 3/4 male hose thread on both sides. then just use a short wash machine hose to hook it up this would provide adjustable pressure.

Stereo

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I do use pressure regulators on my drip hose to drop pressure to 30 psi. What I didn’t know was that I should open the valve fully. I can’t wait to try this simple fix by trying out the regulators with valves wide open on the soaker hoses but I’ll also look into putting in a pressure regulator on the line or a globe regulator at the outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks