Hiding undercabinet wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

skeetdog

Reaction score
I'm adding some undercabinet lighting and trying to organize and hide the wiring. On the front side of the cabinets there a lip that hangs down maybe an inch or so. I'm hoping to run the wire on the backside of the front lip and secure the wiring using wire clips (the kind with a nail to secure the clip) but the cabinets hang down low so there's not much space between the counter and its awkward because I essentially need to hammer the nail backwards (into the backside of the front lip of the cabinet). Any tips or techniques people have done? I spent 20 minutes trying to do this and didn't get one as the nail kept falling out the clip or I'd hammer and bend the nail. Should I just get self adhesive clips? I just wasn't sure if those kind stick very well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Small screws into short pilot hole can be placed precisely.

Reach4

Reaction score
So use screws instead of the nail in the wire clip?
I would. Little washers may or may not be needed.

You might get by without the pilot hole. The pilot hole gives you precision. Don't drill too deep.

3/8 long #4 maybe. If the lips are thicker, you could go longer. I could use 3/4 inch long screws and still have some margin.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What type of wire, voltage and lamp type? With LED tape strip lighting nail or screwing wires is obsolete. LED tape lighting is peel and stick. You mount the driver underneath the cabinet or even inside the cabinet to a 110v line. The driver output is low voltage either 12 or 24 volts. The LED tape has a leads cut to length you connect to the driver output. Peel off the tape and press the tape to the back edge as where you want to nail the wire. I bought this LED light at Home Depot.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 214

skeetdog

Reaction score
I would. Little washers may or may not be needed.

You might get by without the pilot hole. The pilot hole gives you precision. Don't drill too deep.

3/8 long #4 maybe. If the lips are thicker, you could go longer. I could use 3/4 inch long screws and still have some margin.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will give that a try!

skeetdog

Reaction score
What type of wire, voltage and lamp type? With LED tape strip lighting nail or screwing wires is obsolete. LED tape lighting is peel and stick. You mount the driver underneath the cabinet or even inside the cabinet to a 110v line. The driver output is low voltage either 12 or 24 volts. The LED tape has a leads cut to length you connect to the driver output. Peel off the tape and press the tape to the back edge as where you want to nail the wire. I bought this LED light at Home Depot.
I'm using LED puck lights and the wire is similar to a standard wire found on a lamp or television. I'm replacing existing puck lights that were installed by the previous homeowner. They were halogen and got so hot that it literally burnt the underside of the cabinet. I'm trying to install puck lights again to cover up the burnt wood produced by the previous puck lights.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks