Help identifying this floor drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

greidy

Reaction score
I am trying to undo some terrible plumbing in my basement , a bathroom was tied into an old floor drain . I removed and capped the bathroom 15 years ago when I bought to the place and now looking to finish the space. I excavated to old floor drain location expecting to find a typical ABS pipe tie in half expecting it to be too small or some other nightmare but instead it appears like the photos with a clay band around something and when lifted the pipe does move upward away from the clay. The house was built between 78 and 81 and in the Toronto area so I can not see it being clay pipes in that era.. everything else in the house is ABS .. anyone recognize what I am dealing with? thanks!

1C5EDA31-3D6F-4A78-9263-AAB61371C91F.jpeg
7595F0CC-F5ED-4264-B684-0208A03A3DCE.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
first off I can't make heads or tail out of pic. I see what looks like ABS and other than that I can't tell anything. but if this is your main sewer leaving the building built 40 years ago in some other region that I'm unfamiliar with. I would say clay pipe wouldn't shock me at all they still use it been using it forever . not supposed to be within a few feet of building but that don't mean much very possibly clay .

greidy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I apologize for the pics but after all it’s photo inside a hole in a dark basement. Was trying to avoid more digging as I was a little fearful of damaging clay. But guess that is what I will need to do. From everything I read in Ontario they should have stopped using clay in the 60s. I attached another image of what looks to be like a clean out or something in the other corner of the basement perhaps it would shed some light on the system underneath? Thanks again will also try the magnet in the morning

256994EB-06D3-4325-87A5-D7E95840F7BC.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry the photo doesn't look what I've seen, I think bringing sewer inside the building was often done with transition inside. just seems like something people would do even though not proper, Basements and old homes aren't what I've spent a lot of time on .
Your pic wasn't that clear , it is what it is but no fault of yours.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the first 2 photos.. but it kinda looks like the 2" is connected to either a cast iron hub or into a bushing that's been hit with a shovel so its a bit shiny. But it looks more like a cast hub with a rubber fernco donut

greidy

Reaction score
Hard to tell in the first 2 photos.. but it kinda looks like the 2" is connected to either a cast iron hub or into a bushing that's been hit with a shovel so its a bit shiny. But it looks more like a cast hub with a rubber fernco donut

Thanks ! I just looked up a fernco donut and yes that definitely seems to be what the 3" ABS is going into. One thing to mention when digging there was a black tar paper ish and white foil ish stuff around it. Wasn't sure what that was. But what donut is inserted into does feel like teracota clay and has the same color. Since it was just a floor drain is it possible its a storm water connection instead of a sewage connection?
Going to dig a bit more tonight when I get home..

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it was just a floor drain is it possible its a storm water connection instead of a sewage connection?

Very possible. If they were using the clay as groundwater drainage.. Not promising for getting a bathroom connected. Start looking for plan B... the real building drain.

greidy

Reaction score
Very possible. If they were using the clay as groundwater drainage.. Not promising for getting a bathroom connected. Start looking for plan B... the real building drain.
Clay it is , with the bit I revealed I think I am looking at a clay p trap... now is it sanitary or storm is the question. Also there appears to a smaller pipe running into the side of it about 3/4” I am guessing that used to be from something to prime the trap ..Again sorry for crappy photos

Attachments

• 879B531A-E3B1-4551-8A2C-CA55BC1FA3C7.jpeg
    879B531A-E3B1-4551-8A2C-CA55BC1FA3C7.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 49EBCE30-DFC0-4948-A286-CC2DC6D0F734.jpeg
    49EBCE30-DFC0-4948-A286-CC2DC6D0F734.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 121

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the home on a septic tank or city sewer? From the picture it looks like a ABS street elbow into a fernco collar and the clay looks like is just an elbow. The clay pipe looks like it's the horizontal run. The clay doesn't look like its a trap. You'll need to dig deeper and wider to get a hint of what you have. Hiring a plumber with a camera snake will probably be needed. You might be able to rent one. I'm agreeing with Tuttle that its could be part of the ground water drain and not a septic drain.

I googled clay pipe and clay pipe p trap and clay still exist but it is not that brittle stuff.
https://www.loganclaypipe.com/traps.html
https://www.wavin.com/en-gb/catalog...rface-conveyance/hepworth-clay-drainage-pipes

greidy

Reaction score
Is the home on a septic tank or city sewer? From the picture it looks like a ABS street elbow into a fernco collar and the clay looks like is just an elbow. The clay pipe looks like it's the horizontal run. The clay doesn't look like its a trap. You'll need to dig deeper and wider to get a hint of what you have. Hiring a plumber with a camera snake will probably be needed. You might be able to rent one. I'm agreeing with Tuttle that its could be part of the ground water drain and not a septic drain.

I googled clay pipe and clay pipe p trap and clay still exist but it is not that brittle stuff.
https://www.loganclaypipe.com/traps.html
https://www.wavin.com/en-gb/catalog...rface-conveyance/hepworth-clay-drainage-pipes
Good evening thanks for the input this is in the city on a municipal sewer system. I will explore the links you sent thanks. Currently the only thing going down that 3” abs is a condensate line so I am going to pick a pump up tmr so I can cut that line and remove it upward to have a look inside . I still think it’s a trap it might be hard to tell from the photo but that horizontal run you see is on a 45 down to the bottom of the the old drain location. If it were another line tying in that would mean the trunk line would be even deeper which I can not see being the case as if I follow up the 45 I think it goes horizontal afterward at a higher elevation out to the street. Yeah I am calling a plumber to do the work at some point but wanted to plan things out first. Didn’t expect this ...and yes it looks like even more digging to be done

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the pipe goes some where. if the city combines storm and sewer . there are old ways to determine whether a pipe connects to sewer other than paying a camera job, like listening or pulling manhole cover.
you started out wanting to identify the connection but not clear what is the question now? it seems you think poop was going into a storm system that you may may not have .
does the waste from the house go into this line?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Typically a trap on a storm or groundwater or downspout system is used because it is connected to the sewer system somewhere. Tho I lived in a house in Seattle where the floor drain in my basement drained to a pipe that daylighted at the sidewalk in the middle of my neighbors driveway and it had a trap on it. Maybe to keep out non swimming bugs.

PS.. I just looked at that clay pipe and fitting catalog.. some interesting stuff in there. Like my old Bunker Hill lead fitting catalog.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it might be easy to determine the question of whether a storm drain is involved, I can't tell from here .
BTW greidy why not pull those covers and see what's below it might be a running trap w c/o who knows?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks