Help fixing standpipe plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

alexlacelle

Reaction score
Currently working on a laundry room renovation. I'm located in Ontario Canada. The standpipe is not to code. My trap is under the floor in the basement, and there are two pipes, one of which is used as a standpipe, the other is just open, which I assume someone was using as a makeshift vent. Here is a picture of the current setup. You will notice in the picture a 4 inch pipe on the left. It's painted orange, but it is a vent.

From my research, I understand that the trap cannot be below ground, that the stand pipe must extend 18 - 30 inches from the trap, and that the trap must be 6 to 18 inches above the floor in the room. What I plan on doing is replacing the trap in the basement with a long sweep 90, then up into the laundry room to a sanitary tee (6 to 8 inches above the floor) then from the top of the tee 90 degrees to the left and connecting to the existing vent line, with the right of the tee going to my trap and standpipe.

Would this work? And if so, is there a rule as to how high the vent connection to the existing stack need to be? I'd like to connect it low so that the view is blocked by the washer once in place.

I've attached a crude photoshop drawing of my plan if that helps.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Current Plumbing.jpg
    Current Plumbing.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 233

alexlacelle

Reaction score
The connection to the vent has to be at least 6" above the top of the standpipe, (and to comply with most codes 42" above the floor).

Dang so much for my plan to keep it hidden! Thanks for the reply!

alexlacelle

Reaction score
That would be true in the US, but I think not so in Canada based on prior postings.

Interesting. I'll do some more research as leaving the existing trap would save me some work. Doesn't help me keep the vent line hidden though unfortunately since it has to be above the top of the standpipe. Unless maybe I go the minimum height on the standpipe, if it's only 18 inches above ground I may be able to plumb in my vent above that while keeping it behind the actual washer.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would not be uncommon to run the piping inside the wall framing instead of outside of it, if you want it to be hidden.

alexlacelle

Reaction score
It would not be uncommon to run the piping inside the wall framing instead of outside of it, if you want it to be hidden.

I considered this, however the wall is a previous exterior wall and is sitting directly on top of a concrete block foundation wall in the basement. There’s no way to get it running inside the wall without breaking concrete, or putting two short 90 degree bends back to back in the pipe once above the blocks. That doesn’t seem smart to me so unfortunately it’ll have to stay outside the wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks