Help finding replacement parts for Crane brand shower stems.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bobbyd33, Nov 12, 2010.

  1. bobbyd33

    bobbyd33 New Member

    Nov 12, 2010
    So I live in an apartment in a old building, the tub has been leaking from the spout for a while getting worse with time. It is the water hot/cold handles as if I really tighten them it gets better.

    I finally took it apart to fix it last night. I discovered that it is a Crane brand shower. I took the stems out and noticed the rubber washers on the end were completely worn out. I measured and took photos of the stem and did some online research.

    So I came across this
    It looks to be the exact same stem.

    So my question is, does anyone happen to know if this stem is made by other manufactures? If I went to lowes or home depot would they sell it. I really dont want to spend $50 each on these things. Not sure if anyone makes replacement parts for the Crane FB1077 basically, or if I can get one of those shower rebuild kits I saw that would fit in.

    Im going to track down the washers and replace them first and hope that that will fix it.

  2. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    Be glad you found it and can fix the thing without chopping the wall open and replacing it...

    If your stem is okay then all you need is washers and possibly a seat.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. bobbyd33

    bobbyd33 New Member

    Nov 12, 2010
    Well I ended up replacing the 1/2" washers on the end of the stem. Bought beveled and flat and the beveled ones seemed to give a better seal.
    The Hot water still drips a little bit though, but it is 1000X better than it was. I looked in the hole with a flashlight and am not sure if there was a seat or not, It didn't look as if anything inside was removable. Looked like just the pipe.
    But its good enough a drip won't bother me, after all it is just an apartment not my house. See no need to tell landlord about it to rip it apart and up my rent as he does with people who call on him to fix things
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    That is probably a Crane/Repcal stem, (some made during the War had galvanized steel bodies instead of brass), and if so the valve does not have removable stems and the seats have to be CAREFULLY renewed internally. If not done carefully with the proper tool you WILL destroy the valve and have to replace it. IF it were removable, it would have a square, or hexagonal", opening in the center of the seat.
Similar Threads: Help finding
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog help finding shower head diverter Jan 28, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog need help finding a small bathtub hair catcher Jul 28, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Need help finding replacement tub/shower handle with pushbutton diverter Jun 3, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog help finding the "better" acrylic and cast iron tubs? Jan 20, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Help finding product name and manufacturer for a newer "hidden" shower drain product Mar 25, 2013

Share This Page