Help! Debris in Plumbing...what to do?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeGA

Reaction score
I purchased a property a year ago and it has been abandoned for 12 years. I installed brand new PEX throughout the whole house connecting straight from the main water. However, there is one portion that was not accessible because it sits next to the garage but there's no basement access so there was old copper water lines. I tapped into the water lines and now I have that bathroom working. However my issue has been every single shower head and faucet has been clogging up and I have been flushing the system but it continues to be a problem. I've probably replaced the shower head and the faucet three times already, I can't keep doing this Here's a picture of the latest debris, they look like tiny crushed gravel. any thoughts on what to do????

Attachments

• PXL_20201222_152352917.jpg
    PXL_20201222_152352917.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 148
  • PXL_20201222_152959156.jpg
    PXL_20201222_152959156.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20201222_153012790.jpg
    PXL_20201222_153012790.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 152

Reach4

Reaction score
Well or city water? I would consider a whole-house filter.

I would flush the WH. Flushing is an easy DIY thing. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-flush-a-hot-water-heater.79444/#post-576623 post #7. Catch solids coming out to inspect those.

What does your clogging material do when you hit it with a torch outdoors? If it is plastic, it will burn or melt.

If it stays solid, I would soak it in acid. Muriatic if you have it. Otherwise, vinegar for a long time. If it is hardness deposits, the acid will dissolve it.

Last edited:

MikeGA

Reaction score
Well or city water? I would consider a whole-house filter.

I would flush the WH. Flushing is an easy DIY thing. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-flush-a-hot-water-heater.79444/#post-576623 post #7. Catch solids coming out to inspect those.

What does your clogging material do when you hit it with a torch outdoors?

it's City water and I have two other bathrooms and I don't have any other problems in the other bathrooms. In terms of the water heater it's a tankless water heater, brand new as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
it's City water and I have two other bathrooms and I don't have any other problems in the other bathrooms. In terms of the water heater it's a tankless water heater, brand new as well.
I am clueless.

I would still put some debris on a rock/brick outside. Heat until read hot. Does it melt, burn, or just glow and stay solid?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
remove all the aerator screens on the fixtures for a week then put them back and see if the pipes are clear. you might have stirred up some debris in the main line while doing your repipe.

MikeGA

Reaction score
Why is it
remove all the aerator screens on the fixtures for a week then put them back and see if the pipes are clear. you might have stirred up some debris in the main line while doing your repipe.

Why is it only in that bathroom though...that's what baffles me. Other 2 bathrooms, laundry, and kitchen zero problems.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
sometimes when a building is being plumbed, some dirt will get into the pipes from being stored on the ground prior to installation, that's why you always remove the fixture aerator before turning the water on for the first time. just remove the aerators for a few days and see if it clears up.
I've had sand clog a sink supply stop years after it was installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks