Help basement flooding

Users who are viewing this thread

DOmi

Reaction score
I think water is coming up from under floor around this pipe which is in middle of the basement in the wall. I knocked out the drywall and pipe comes from floor to about 5 ft high with a vented cap on it. I can't get pic to upload. I think is a vent of some sort. I cannot find a floor drain anywhere. We have a sub pump which seems to be working fine. Main sewer drain is about 3/4 way up on wall and now where near water that is flooding. I do have some cracks in the floor that get damp but not where the flooding is at and never gets like this. Already had 2 different sewers and drain people out they don't know what is happening but are just talking about the main drain line but where then is this water coming from?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think water is coming up from under floor around this pipe
This pipe? We can't see what you are pointing to.

Do you have a well or city water?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Is the sump pump running a lot? If so, you likely have a high water table or excessive groundwater pushing up from below the floor. Have you had much rain recently? Are your outside roof gutters clear, and the downspout piping directed to move the water away from the foundation? Is the ground properly sloped to carry rainwater away from the structure?

DOmi

Reaction score
This pipe? We can't see what you are pointing to.

Do you have a well or city water?
Well water and septic system. Here I finally got pics to load. I don't think water is coming from within the pipe I think the water under the floor of my basement is finding it's way up through the cracks around the pipe. I don't know what type of drainage system my basement has but I am guessing something is blocked stopping it from draining correctly. I assume the basement drainage is going to the sump pump which works fine but it not filling up a lot or anything. Therefore, it leads me to believe that the blockage is somewhere before the sump pump. I am wondering if my guess sounds reasonable? The basement gets some wet usually from the outer wall meet floor area but this time it is in the middle of the basement and it is a lot of water. It is not a water line I knocked out the drywall and checked that first. If I have an interior perimeter drainage system or an external footing drainage system can either of these possibly be fixed by running a large commercial snake from the sump pump pipe?

Attachments

• 1118170040b.jpg
    1118170040b.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 1118170040a.jpg
    1118170040a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 1118170040.jpg
    1118170040.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 257

DOmi

Reaction score
[QUOTE
Is the sump pump running a lot? If so, you likely have a high water table or excessive groundwater pushing up from below the floor. Have you had much rain recently? Are your outside roof gutters clear, and the downspout piping directed to move the water away from the foundation? Is the ground properly sloped to carry rainwater away from the structure?

Yes, it is raining but no the sump is not running a lot which is why I think the drainage system is blocked or something. Also this just started happening this week been in the home for 5 years. Question, wouldn't a drainage system lead to the sump pump? It Wouldn't connect to the main septic line, right? I don't see any pipes that would go from the floor up to the main drain line so it can't be that right? Plus using showers doesn't seem to affect the amount of water in the basement and the main drain line is on the outside wall not near the water in the middle of the basement.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pipe appears to have an AAV on it, so it is apparently a vent for a fixture trap somewhere in the vicinity.

How high is the water level in the sump measured by the level in regards to the inlet pipes? If the water level is higher than the inlet piping, you should adjust the float switch so it keeps the level closer to the bottom of the inlet. Your goal should be to maintain the water level a few inches below the bottom of the slab.

DOmi

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that but even when I force the water out of the sump (by pulling float up) not much water is dripping from the inlet pipe.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that but even when I force the water out of the sump (by pulling float up) not much water is dripping from the inlet pipe.

We don't know if you have in interior perimeter tile or an exterior one, or both. In any case, it can take hours for the water to seep from opposite ends of the gravel bed to the sump, you would need to lower the sump water level for a couple of days to know if there are really any measurable results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks