Help analyzing my water test results and recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

JMR-TBAY

Reaction score
I’ve got a newly constructed 20 foot dug well. I’d like to think I built it right with two loads of washed, crushed rock around the bottom two tiles.

I’ve fully tested the water twice, a month between each test. I shocked it between testing which took care of the coliform and e-coli issue.

The attached spreadsheet shows the two tests side by side. The 3rd column is where the lab re-tested the second sample. I’d like to avoid a softener at all cost. My local plumbing guy advises it’s right on the edge of needing a softener, but recommends a sediment filter, dual big blues with UV, and an under sink RO. I get that he’s in the market to sell stuff, hence why I’d appreciate independent opinions! Thanks!

FBBDD2A0-A2E5-42B4-8A53-833436894B71.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Why do you suppose that column 1801858 has numbers very different than the last two columns? Same well as a source? Did the water sit in the pipes for a long time, and you did not run much water before taking a sample?

I would think a single big blue. What does 20 ft well mean? Is that the depth of the hole, depth to water, diameter, or what? I would tend to not use UV, and I don't see what makes you need an RO. Maybe the lead, tho it is under the MCL action level. I am not a pro.

Coliforms can often show up in a water test due to sampling techniques. Or maybe your shallow well is getting surface water leaking in.

JMR-TBAY

Reaction score
Why do you suppose that column 1801858 has numbers very different than the last two columns? Same well as a source? Did the water sit in the pipes for a long time, and you did not run much water before taking a sample?

I would think a single big blue. What does 20 ft well mean? Is that the depth of the hole, depth to water, diameter, or what? I would tend to not use UV, and I don't see what makes you need an RO. Maybe the lead, tho it is under the MCL action level. I am not a pro.

Coliforms can often show up in a water test due to sampling techniques. Or maybe your shallow well is getting surface water leaking in.
The first column was the first test I did almost immediately after installing the well. 20ft is the total depth. Static water level is 5.25’, but it produces 2700gal during 3 hours of continuous pumping. The first test shows mostly higher levels as I had only pumped it out a couple times. The more I pumped it the better it got, hence the general improvement for the second test.

I am kinda stumped as to why the calcium, magnesium and sulfur levels went up. The first sample was collected by dipping a glass jar with a string. The second sample was collected using the recently installed submersible pump through a yard hydrant. Perhaps those increased metals are from the pump breaking in?

RO was specifically suggested to bring down the aluminum levels and some other metals.

JMR-TBAY

Reaction score
This is what I’m working with.

Developing a 150acres to build on eventually. Historically very good water in the area. Practically no contamination from agriculture/industrial etc. Many neighbours have used very shallow (10-15’) dug well for decades. There is a commercial spring water company collecting water a few kilometers away.

I used 20 feet worth of 42” pre cast well tiles. I have about 5.25’ of static water. It has a pretty slow re fill rate.

I have a 1hp 10gpm Franklin FPS Series V submersible installed horizontally (in a flow sleeve). The intake (a 90 degree elbow) is about 6” off the bottom. There is an ample amount of washed, crushed rock on the bottom of the well and surrounding the bottom 2 tiles. The pump is run to a yard hydrant and connected to a 240v generator plug for temporary use.

FC881C60-669F-433F-B674-5934859B9D4F.jpeg

Another reason I thought of for certainly levels being elevated in the second sample is possibly before the second sample was collected through the yard hydrant using the submersible pump. The first sample was collected by dipping a jar down from the top of the well. The bottom layers of the well is bound to have much more sediment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks