Have you ever seen roots like this under a toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
I can't tell where these are coming from. The drain is clear and there are no roots coming through the inside of the drain. There are no bushes outside. The neighbor's bushes are higher in elevation behind a concrete wall, and 15ft away.

How do i kill it to prevent it from growing back?

These are just scattered under the toilet, sipping the toilet water from the failed wax ring.

I was kind of shocked at first because I thought I had a root clog.
But the clog was actually caused by flushed baby asswipes. Bullet dodged.

roots-under-toilet-01.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Years ago, I had one where the wax ring had been replaced by fine roots. I was called in because the toilet bowl wouldn't keep water. As it turned out, the rooter people had popped a hole just out of sight in the lower curve of the trap and the water just took a short cut and ran out the hole.

roots-under-toilet-04.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The roots enter a break in the pipe and grow in both directions in a nicely watered and fertilized environment.

Pman6

Reaction score
yeah, this is a concrete slab.

these roots went far to find water. hot damn.

It appears that roots are not deterred by wax, and will drill right through them. Maybe that's why my wax ring was destroyed.

Anyway, I got some copper sulfate and table salt, and poured a bunch around the edge of the flange.

hopefully this will keep them away.

someone should invent a wax ring with root killer built into it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks