Has code regarding PVC for drain/septic changed recently for Chicago?

Discussion in 'Illinois Plumbing Code Questions' started by Rogue Chevalier, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Rogue Chevalier

Rogue Chevalier New Member

I own a 2 story 4 unit building and recently renovated one of the units. Per code for multi-units, we used all copper throughout, even on the septic and vents. Of the reno, this was by far the costliest part and decimated the budget.

Shortly after, I was walking the neighborhood and stumbled across a new 4 story quad multi-unit being built by Halcyon Homes that was at a stage that was post waste install, pre supply. All of the waste line was PVC, including the vent out the roof. This building would obviously undergo inspection so I was baffled by how this was up to code.

Has something changed to modernize Chicago code? Are there any special exceptions that I'm unaware of that would have allowed this? And more importantly, may I now perform a reno using PVC for the drain side?

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    IT has been a LONNNG time since I was in the Chicago area, but in most areas that do allow PVC/ABS drain lines it is only for 3 stories or less, but if they did it, I am sure they knew what was allowed, since they would not want to do it over.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. J.w.

J.w. New Member

New pilot.program special permit required