Hardness for Tankless water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Technomystic

Reaction score
What hardness is safe to use in a Navien tankless. Chicago water is 8 grains and a Rinnai needs to be descaled annually (quite a pain).
I am installing a softener in Indiana to treat well water with 14 grains hardness and 0.3 ppm iron.
I would like to set my softener to conserve salt but it would result in 2-3 grains hardness.
Would that clog my Navien with CaCl3?
It might be cheaper and easier to just set the salt consumption higher to get <1 grain output than to have to descale the Navien.
What is most efficient hardness please?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
If you set your softener to use 5 or (preferably) 6 lb/cuft of salt, you should do better than your 2 grains of leakage. You would still be getting reasonable salt efficiency.

With the 6 lb/cuft it will make the water better than going leaner. 8 to 6 is the most popular range.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks