Goulds pump (with Centripro motor) - no lock washers?

Users who are viewing this thread

2devnull

Reaction score
I notice I didn't get any lock washer with my Goulds pump and Centripro motor and also the manual only says to put the four nuts and tighten to 13 ft/lbs so I assume this wasn't a mistake.

Also - how would one get a torque wrench in there to get to 13 ft/lbs?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lock washers aren't important. 13 ft/lbs is not important. Just tighten one side, then the other, like a car tire. As long as you pull it down equally and get the nuts good and snug you are good to go.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also - how would one get a torque wrench in there to get to 13 ft/lbs?
I suspect a 200 in-lb ratchet torque wrench with a 1/4 inch drive socket would fit... not that I have done that.
099E39DE-B518-8088-8CAE41B7F86AF60D_337.jpg

Alternatively, a box wrench could be torqued with a fish scale tugging sideways on the other end.
imageContent.do
After some trials, you might "calibrate" your hand to be close enough.

What size are those nuts? Just curious. 3/8?

Last edited:

2devnull

Reaction score
The nut uses a 1/2" wrench.

The issue is my torque wrench cannot get in there. I have tighten it as much as I can without the lock washers but not feeling good. I tried to "calibrate" my arm on one of the nuts holding my garage door vertical track to 13 ft/lbs but I broke the nut.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is a tight fit for a 1/2" boxed in wrench. Some people grind down the outside of the wrench to make it fit easier. Need to quit just before you twist off the nuts. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
It is a tight fit for a 1/2" boxed in wrench. Some people grind down the outside of the wrench to make it fit easier. Need to quit just before you twist off the nuts. :)
OK... tighter space than I was thinking. No ratcheting wrench probably.
gearwrench-combination-wrenches-9016d-40_145.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks