Genteq ECM 3.0 issues

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by bobthebuilder123, Oct 3, 2020.

1. bobthebuilder123

bobthebuilder123 New Member

Hello, I have a Carrier furnace that started acting up last week after 8 years of great service. During the start up the blower motor will start to spin but will make a loud banging/vibrating sound, this will go on for several attempts when eventually the furnace will shut down and flash the error code 41. I have used the diagnostic chart which has instructed me that the blower motor ECM module needs to be replaced. I have tested the motor and it is fine and can't feel any play in the bearings.

Before I go and buy a replacement module I wanted to be sure that it is indeed the issue. Has anyone ever seen a blower act up like this before, I spent hours searching and couldn't find anyone with a blower acting up in the same way. The blower motor is a Genteq ECM 3.0 GC07. I have attached a link to show how the motor is acting up and the banging sound can be heard throughout.

Thank you

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Disconnect power wait 5 minutes and pull ecm off. Look for burn marks. You can also test the capacitors with ohm meter. There are videos on how to fix them for 10$ instead of 1000

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
  5. bobthebuilder123

bobthebuilder123 New Member

I removed the ECM off the motor and nothing seems burned and the capacitors aren't bulging on the top. The ECM board is encased in silicone so I cannot remove any components for further testing without digging out the board.

I used the dealer toolbox guide and the motor checks out. The phases ohm similar to each other and nothing is grounded out.

Attached Files:

6. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Need the model of the furnace and even then might need a laptop and a program for diagnosis.

7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    It was around ten years ago you could buy an ECM module. The motor and module were supported separately, not anymore. You'll only find then sold as one unit and these do not have start or run capacitors.
    I had one in my Carrier Air Handler go bad but it was still under warranty but labor still cost me around $300. I had changed a few out at the church I worked with 9 Carrier units and they and all fail in similar ways, the motor will ramp up then slow down, sometimes stop then ramp up again. Genteq was a GE motor and GE sold it to Regalbeloit.

How ECM works
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5btD9jgNzk&feature=emb_logo
    How to troubleshoot an ECM but with special tools

8. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

It is normal for the motor to go back and forth for 3-5 seconds with minor vibration. I did read it's most likely the ecm if its longer then that