GE water softener with Performa 762 control

Users who are viewing this thread

Jlshack44

Reaction score
Water softener installed Nov. 14, 2008, and seems to have operated as designed since then. Noticed recently that during regeneration, when the cycle leaves stage C4 (System Pause) and entering C5 (Fast Rinse Cycle 1) there is a short, intense water pipe rattling. I’m not sure how long this has been happening since I was usually at work during the scheduled 1AM regeneration. I have also noticed the the water level in the salt storage tank is barely up to the salt, and I keep the salt level low in case I need to move the tank for access to the water heater. I tried to contact the supplier and installer (who I really liked and trusted, all they did was water softeners) but the owner has sold the business and I haven’t heard anything positive about new new company. So, I need to know if the salt tank water level is a problem. The water seems to be as soft as the day it was installed but, I am also wondering about the condition of the resin. Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since there is a Pause stage, it would then appear your softener is configured with the Brine Fill stage as the first stage of each regeneration cycle.

With Brine Fill First, there usually would be only a small amount of fluid remaining within the brine tank in-between cycles. Water will enter during the 1st stage, and the Pause stage is intended to provide sufficient time for salt to be dissolved by the water to create brine which is then utilized during the subsequent Brine Draw stage of regeneration.

Jlshack44

Reaction score
Since there is a Pause stage, it would then appear your softener is configured with the Brine Fill stage as the first stage of each regeneration cycle.

With Brine Fill First, there usually would be only a small amount of fluid remaining within the brine tank in-between cycles. Water will enter during the 1st stage, and the Pause stage is intended to provide sufficient time for salt to be dissolved by the water to create brine which is then utilized during the subsequent Brine Draw stage of regeneration.
Being unfamiliar with my softener’s normal modes and operation, I’m not sure what to do with this information. I thought I would list the regeneration cycles as listed in my Operation Manual:
C1- Backwash
C2- Regeneration Draw/Slow Rinse ( not used in filter mode)
C3- Slow Rinse (not used in filter mode)
C4- System Pause (to repressurize tank)
C5- Fast Rinse cycle 1
C6- Backwash cycle 2 (not used in filter mode)
C7- Fast Rinse cycle 2 (not used in filter mode)
C8- Regererant Refill (not used in filter mode)

Does this information help explain my questions any clearer, hopefully so, because I have no idea what to think about the water hammering pipes during regeneration and the low water level in the salt storage tank. Thank you for you time and input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks