Gas line pressure testing

Users who are viewing this thread

IAm_Not_Lost

Reaction score
Hey guys, really appreciate this forum as someone doing most of their home build themselves. I have a question regarding gas line pressure test. I will have two gas appliances, a tankless heater and a gas stove. I have run the CSST line and installed the rough stub outs. Pressure testing at 15 psi easily stands for 30 minutes, and will remain unchanged for about a day. After 1-2 days you see about a 1/4lb drop in pressure. This is with temperature and reading time remaining consistent. It will very slowly continue to drop. After a coupla-few weeks down to 7-8 lbs of pressure. I have pumped it up to 15psi and repeatedly checked for any leaks with standard oatey leak detector and see zero signs of leaks. Have done this 2-3 times. Have even pumped it up to 20-30psi and still see no leaks with leak detector.

Should I worry myself over this? Thank you all.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Since your using air and not a inert gas ( nitrogen) pressure can change. The amount of volume that the lines hold is very small any leak would show up relatively fast within 30 minutes. Soap the fittings call it good.

IAm_Not_Lost

Reaction score
Since your using air and not a inert gas ( nitrogen) pressure can change. The amount of volume that the lines hold is very small any leak would show up relatively fast within 30 minutes. Soap the fittings call it good.

Cool, just wanted reassurance that was a reasonable plan. Doing research you see such variability in responses.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are one of many people who have noticed this same thing. Testing with air is timed for a reason. Many reasons actually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks