Garage sink drain tie in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Chris Harrington, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:55 AM.

1. Chris Harrington

Chris Harrington New Member

Hello - I am a recent lurker and thankfully for the knowledge contained within this site.

I am placing a utility sink in my garage and plan to run the drain into my basement to tie in the drain. Can I tie into an existing 2” drain line which drains my master bathroom sinks? This existing drain then ties into a 3”.

My plan was to tie into the drain by adding a 2” WYE (yellow in picture), then 45 elbow and 2 90s over to the wall adjacent to the sink in the garage. In the garage then have AAV. Is the AAV advises or not needed?

As you can see I have already started dry fitting my plan but would like to make any adjustments suggested prior to glueing it up.

Thank you in advance for feedback.

Attached Files:

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    It's OK to tie into the drain horizontally to avoid going through the joists. Use an AAV on both sinks.

Chris Harrington likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Chris Harrington

This was my first thought when I first started my research. To tie into the 3” main. But there is no room to work with at the clean out. Maybe 1/8” access between the 3” WYE and the clean out. I suppose cut off clean out, add linked adapter, add another 3” WYE and run to sink in garage then replicate clean out after new WYE.

5. Chris Harrington

Here is a quick attempt of a sketch for what I originally proposed.

Attached Files:

6. Chris Harrington

Oh so go into the vertical coming down from the sinks in master. Interesting.

Attached Files:

7. James Henry

Plumber
    lay wye on its side.

Attached Files:

8. Chris Harrington

That was exactly my thought. I should have been more clear and laying it sideways. Thank you. So this would work. Perfect. My wife trust me in most of my projects but I can sense her uneasiness with me cutting into perfectly good drain mains. So I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask around to confirm.

9. James Henry

Plumber
    Your fine with that. I take it the toilet is on a different drain or it has its own vent. because that lav wouldn't qualify as a wet vent.

10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    In your case. almost any pipe you connect to will be okay. If you want to go into the 3" a male adapter and a 3x2 street/spigot tee will do the job, with a new cleanout into it, using a street/spigot female adapter and plug.

11. Chris Harrington

Correct, the lav and shower are on the opposite side of the master bath and not tied into the sinks.