Gap parallel to sill plate on top of basement wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

abieniek

Reaction score
Hi all - I am currently planning to spray foam the rim joists in my unfinished basement. This is all new to me, but I think I get how to do that. What I don't get is what to do with the space parallel to the sill plate. In pulling out old batting there was a good deal of mouse crap, so I need to seal up wherever they are getting in from the outside.

What do I do on the inside with this gap? Try to shove new batting in there? Seal the gap with spray foam? Something else? Hope I'm making sense. Maybe the picture helps...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bysau8t9szMDUmlRNUpfSHE2UzQ/view?usp=sharing

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
How tall is the gap? You can pick up foam backer rods used for caulking in various widths (up to 3/4 in or wider) and jam those into the gap, assuming the gap is less than the maximum width backer rod you can find at the local home improvement store. Run a bead of caulk across the backer rod before the spray foam.

abieniek

Reaction score
How tall is the gap? You can pick up foam backer rods used for caulking in various widths (up to 3/4 in or wider) and jam those into the gap, assuming the gap is less than the maximum width backer rod you can find at the local home improvement store. Run a bead of caulk across the backer rod before the spray foam.

Yeah, so the gap is not huge. But I should seal the gap? It doesn't need to be open for any reason? I get scared about moisture issues and I don't want to create a new problem for myself.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Yes, seal the gap; that's a prime source of air infiltration into the house (and thus wasted energy). When the house was built a "sill gasket" should have been placed between the wood and the concrete in order to seal between the two, so there was already an attempt - albeit a poor one in many cases - to seal the gap.

abieniek

Reaction score
Thanks. Does it make a difference if I refill the space with batting or not? Is it worth the effort?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks