Furnace Sidewall vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you guys put one of these single hole termination kits for a furnace? The instructions showed a picture of the wye facing downwards. Can it face sideways or even upwards

Attachments

• rheem-water-heater-venting-parts-sp20245-64_1000.jpg
    rheem-water-heater-venting-parts-sp20245-64_1000.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 154

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that the exhaust will condense, and if it is really cold out, fall back into the pipe and freeze. On a similar design, the installer didn't follow instructions on mine, and it actually froze up one day, blocking the inlet, and shutting the heating system down.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's possible that the exhaust will condense, and if it is really cold out, fall back into the pipe and freeze. On a similar design, the installer didn't follow instructions on mine, and it actually froze up one day, blocking the inlet, and shutting the heating system down.
Did yours get installed upwards. So it has to point Down

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the design they used, the exhaust needed to be on the bottom so that any condensation doesn't drip over the intake or get sucked into the intake stream and potentially clog it with ice on a super cold day. Also note that the condensation collection is only on the exhaust, so excessive moisture on the intake would be going through the gas valve and venturi, potentially messing that up as well. It was clear in the installation manual, but they didn't follow it. How the thing is designed will dictate the orientation. Many concentric ones probably are immune, but still follow the instructions!

Some plastic ones I've seen used have TOP molded into the housing, that should make things clear. Mine is all metal (SS). They also show some plastic ones that will work, but it came with the metal one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks