Furnace filter calls for "2 - 14x20 - 1in.". What does the "2" mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Corman2000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a recent furnace install done by a "pro" company which was done very poorly. The company has corrected almost everything, but the filter is still an issue. It doesn't seal correctly, and I am trying to figure out what is acceptable. While reading the "Service information" (Note: This information is for a A952V060BD3Saa, and my furnace is a A952V060BD3Saba. I don't know if this affects this, but seems unlikely?), I see it calls for "Hi Vel. (No.-Size-Thk.) 2 — 14x20 — 1 in." I don't understand what the "No. 2" part means. Is it calling for 2 of 14x20x1 filter? Or a "Number 2" filter of some sort?

Currently has a 25x16x1

Thanks for any help!

Cory

Corman2000

Reaction score
Forgot the picture :D

filter.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
"No." is sometimes used as an abbreviation for number. Could it be that you need two of them? Or you get two in a package?

It seems to be a Trane thing.

Last edited:

Corman2000

Reaction score
Yeah. I've just found in another manual it says Quantity - 2. Wonder why they write 2x smaller filter instead of just 1x of a larger filter.

Thanks for the input! Now I get to have a discussion with them about this:

filter gap.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Wonder why they write 2x smaller filter instead of just 1x of a larger filter.
  • Are both smaller filters placed beside each other when installed? You said your furnace is not the model indicated in the specs above. Perhaps the above model utilizes an alternate filter configuration.
  • Are there any access issues that would lead to difficulty in installing 1 large filter?
  • Are 14" X 20" filters more common and easier to obtain than 28" X 20"?
  • As the specs above recommend High-Velocity filters, perhaps a larger filter may be prone to flex in the direction of flow whereas small filters may remain stiffer and less likely to flex.

Corman2000

Reaction score
Good points. I'd bet your last point is most pertinent as the 16x25x1 shows flex even with reduced suction by how much air is going around it. Something to keep in mind when it gets redone.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks