New iron filter and softener, but now what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Isle of Jersey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not sure that this is posted in the right place, but this is where I got all of the great information for my water softener system so I figured I'd try here first. I recently bought a house that had no softener system, only a defunct iron filter that clearly wasn't working given the orange water coming from all of the taps. Our iron tested at 2 ppm and we clearly have a problem with ferric iron. The problem I had was that none of the installers that I spoke with had any idea what I was talking about and only wanted to install a softener or iron/softener "combo" unit. I finally found someone that knew what my problem was and I had an iron filter installed along with a Fleck softener system.

Fast forward to my current problem - the water is still yellow. I don't think that this is a problem with my system, though I'm not sure how I could tell. Rather, it appears that every pipe has a thick coating of slimy rust buildup inside due to the long period of time without water treatment. In fact, it is so bad that the waste pipes from the sink the previous owner was using to discharge the old iron filter completely blocked up and had to be removed. And the main septic cleanout appears to be leaking due to iron buildup as well. I tried to take a bath in the orange water last night, but there is too much residue coming from the pipes causing floaties!

My question is this - is there anything that I can do to remove this buildup safely short of replacing ALL of the pipes? I'm considering something along the lines of adding iron out to the water heater and using it to flush the pipes. We need to replace the water heater anyway so damage to that is not an issue. Then we'd hire someone to snake out the pipes to hopefully solve the issue with the cleanout leaking. I've also heard of using compressed air, but I'm not too clear on whether that would actually work without damaging the pipes further. We did shock the well prior to installing our system but it didn't appear to do anything.

This will be an experienced DIY project as my husband is a contractor and does all of our basic plumbing work. Which is good because everything in the house leaks! I'm reluctant to call an area plumber for guidance due to the fact that none of them seemed to understand my water problems in the first place and would have happily sold me a water softener that would have failed. We have limited quality professional trades in my area. The company that installed our system does not flush out the lines.

Please help! I don't want to install any of our new fixtures or appliances unless I get this resolved. Sorry for writing a book, but I wanted to explain the whole situation. Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I finally found someone that knew what my problem was and I had an iron filter installed along with a Fleck softener system.
Tell us about the iron filter.

This will be an experienced DIY project as my husband is a contractor and does all of our basic plumbing work. Which is good because everything in the house leaks!
I would consider replacing accessible galvanized with PEX or CPVC.

Then we'd hire someone to snake out the pipes to hopefully solve the issue with the cleanout leaking.
If the cleanout for the septic tank is leaking, I would get that septic tank pumped now. If you recently did get the septic tank pumped, there is a serious problem. I presume that the cleanout you are referring to is out in the yard, and the leakage is coming out on the grass.

When you get the tank pumped, listen to what the guy says. He will know how things were built in your area. I would prefer a small operator rather than a big company for that service. Actually, ask a neighbor for a recommendation.

Bannerman

Reaction score
It would be helpful for us to review recent lab test results for your water. While you may think the color issue is caused by iron, there are other conditions that may also cause discoloration.

You may wish to remove the aerators from faucets to attempt to loosen and flush out any debris within the water lines. Open each faucet fully, starting with the faucet closest to where the water service enters the home, then moving outward one faucet at a time. Once all faucets have been individually flushed until the water runs clear, open all at the same time to see if any additional buildup is loosened and discharged.

Isle of Jersey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

1. The iron filter is a Charger Iron Breaker III. It looks like a Fleck 5600 SXT control with an air inlet. I'm not sure exactly what the media is, but it doesn't use a chemical for regeneration. The softener is a Fleck 5600 control with separate brine tank. Both were installed less than a month ago.

2. I'm fairly certain that galvanized pipe has already been replaced - at least, there is none visible in the basement. I think this is likely what will need to be done, but was hoping for a reasonable workaround.

3. The septic was pumped prior to purchase and passed inspection - it was installed in 2014. The cleanout that I'm referring to is one of the square head caps on the waste line in the basement that leads out to the septic tank. Maybe I'm using the wrong word for it.

4. I can get a more in-depth water analysis, though I couldn't figure out where to get it from. Right now I only have the Health Department test and the hardness/ iron results from a kit test. If you have recommendations for other testing, is there a lab or kit that you recommend?

County Test Results (taken from kitchen faucet):
Total Coliform Absent
E. Coli Absent
Iron 1.44 mg/L
Lead Not Detected
pH 7.67 SU
Turbidity 2.01 N.T.U.
Nitrate as Nitrogen
Nitrite as Nitrogen Not Detected
Total Nitrate/Nitrite Nitrogen Not Detected

Kit Test (taken from exterior tap that bypassed old defunct iron filter):
Iron - 2 ppm
Hardness - 17 gpg

I did not test for tannins. I assumed this was mostly iron because of the residue it leaves when it sits for a while. I'm only assuming that I'm still dealing with iron because of the heavy buildup in the pipes when we've removed pipes and fixtures. The pipes that we've seen are approx. 50% occluded with slimy rust sediment and the pipes that my husband removed from where the old iron filter regenerated were almost 100% occluded.

5. I did try the flushing the taps as described by Bannerman. Most of the taps seem to be free of debris most of the time after flushing. However, the tub faucet seems to always flush bits of rust and sludge after sitting for a period of time. I will try this again to see if it helps.

5. I called my installer and he's coming out next Wednesday to see if there's a problem with the system, but he can't give me any direction with the pipes.

Thanks for looking at this!!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Old pipes with fresh water treatment can take months if not over a year to clear up. My old house had galvanized plumbing still working from the 1920's. I put a softener in and immediately had dark red water in my bath tub for a year. It did eventually clear up but... not muc you can do other than repipe or wait.

Test the water directly out of the unit. If it is clear then it is your plumbing.

Reach4

Reaction score
3. The septic was pumped prior to purchase and passed inspection - it was installed in 2014. The cleanout that I'm referring to is one of the square head caps on the waste line in the basement that leads out to the septic tank. Maybe I'm using the wrong word for it.
OK. The iron is not causing that, but it can make that leak more obvious.

There are various cleanout plugs available. A new brass or plastic plug might cure that leak. There are even ones made of lead that are soft enough to adapt to the threads. Maybe getting a new plug would cure your leak. If you have trouble, with getting that leak to stop, you might post into the plumbing forum.

Isle of Jersey

Reaction score
Thank you. We replaced the cleanout plug and the leak has stopped. The previous owner said that they used to open it up there to snake out the pipe when it became blocked up with the rust sediment - that probably caused the problem with the plug.

I'll have the installer make sure the system is working appropriately and test the water from the unit. It sounds like we'll need to replace the pipes. It can't hurt anyway, because it seems like any plumbing we touch in this house breaks or leaks and makes a bigger problem!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
At my old house, the rules was simple. Do not touch the plumbing unless absolutely necessary. I am a plumber... my plumbing was so bad that I would hire a plumber... I simply did not want the headache when something broke, which it always did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks