Franklin QD Pumptec Tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Jogle

Reaction score
3/4 HP pump, Franklin Control box with QD Pumptec (for 1/3 to 1 HP, 5800070100). The QD Pumptec keeps tripping. So when I turn power on, the pump runs and pressure rises for 3 seconds, then trips. I've adjusted the timer on the QD Pumptec from 30 minutes to 3 min to verify it is this part, and it does turn back on after 3 minutes and pump runs/pressure rises (3 seconds). Measured current on pump was 8.12A (and Pumptec tripped with this reading). Pump is from 1999. Voltage seemed fine, but I don't have an actual reading right now (single phase, 230V circuit); just didn't write it down.

Pressure switch is fine (just FYI; 30/50; and new), replaced starting cap (original had the button bulged out, but when removed and replaced capacitance measured same as new one). Water tank pressure was set to 28 and seems fine.

No pump cycling aside from the trip/reset (meaning no pressure related cycling), and when I removed the QD Pumptec from the circuit everything seems fine. Left amp clamp on and current stayed around (just over) 8A while I watched a full fill from 30-50(which doesn't take long at all). Measured pump resistance and it matches the chart on the Franklin control box when 475' cable factored in (500 Ft well, 475' down)

So with Pumptec QD removed, everything seems OK (so far!)...pump running again, pressure is cycling as expected...so 2 questions....
1) has anyone seen one of these just suddenly fail? Haven't seen anything with anyone talking about standard failure mode of one of these, but it is ~21 years old.
2) Could it be pointing to an issue I don't/can't see; and what could/might I look for? (so assuming it's not faulty, and is triggering for a reason)...asking as I don't want to replace and have same faults.

I know the pump is old and on last leg, just want to understand this actual issue.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Pumptec is bad, which is common. A 1HP pump draws 9 amps, and the Pumptec should be looking for 25% less than that to trip. At 8 amps or higher it should not trip. Everything works once you remove it is the clue. There are other brands that are more adjustable and actually show you the amp reading like these.

Quentin

Reaction score
The Pumptec is bad, which is common. A 1HP pump draws 9 amps, and the Pumptec should be looking for 25% less than that to trip. At 8 amps or higher it should not trip. Everything works once you remove it is the clue. There are other brands that are more adjustable and actually show you the amp reading like these.

I am on a 3 well system, each one protected but a qd pumptec. In march 2021, we suddenly had no water. All three pumptecs were tripping. I set them to field calibrate and everything returned to normalfor months. We are now hveing what a ppears to be low water in the wells. Pumptecs tripping. Since all three seemed to sudddenly have a problem at the same time even though there was sufficient water, I'm wondering if a power bump could have thrown their calibration off. What is the typical failure mode? The pumptecs work but may have lost their internal reference. I should add that we are definitely experiencing a water shortage, i just want to tune the system which has a 65 gal pressure tank and serves two houses.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They should not be losing there settings. Make sure you don't recalibrate until they don't shut off when the well is dry. Use a clip around amp meter to tell if they are working properly. When the amps drop 50% or so, the pump is really out of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks