Foam in drain at end of brine draw, tank fill, and fast rinse ????

Users who are viewing this thread

FOAMY123

Reaction score
Hello,
I've attached a photo to help the description.
I have an EcoMinder II softener which was in place when I moved in several months ago. It's producing soft water, there is salt in the brine tank, etc.
Toward the end of the brine draw, really during tank fill and fast final rinse - the drain starts to get filled with foamy water. The water coming out of the discharge looks normal, but as it splashes into the drain - it starts to get foamy... almost as if someone put soap into the drain. This doesn't happen on the backwash stage - so I've ruled out something else (like soap) in the drain.
I've tried plugging the air gap to rule out a venturi-effect of bubbles from the discharge pipes....
Sometimes its bad - meaning it overflows the floor drain (a lot); and sometimes I just see it peek out of the drain like the head on a good pour of beer.
I use pelleted salt, not solar salt.
Nothing else I can think of to share....
Any ideas are appreciated - hoping someone knows the cause and can help - as when it overflows the floor drain it can be a real mess.
THANK YOU!
FOAM.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This is actually fairly normal. I do notice this more with pellets than with solar, it could have something to do with the binders/additives used in pellet manufacturing. Can yo post a better picture of the drain?

FOAMY123

Reaction score
This is actually fairly normal. I do notice this more with pellets than with solar, it could have something to do with the binders/additives used in pellet manufacturing. Can yo post a better picture of the drain?
Thank you very much. I tried to grab a better pic - but they all have this same view - and, now that the cycle is over, the foam in question is gone too.

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally the salt is higher than the water. Yet I have gone through times when I kept the salt level low enough (for testing/learning purposes) to where I could see a fair amount of my water surface. I never saw such foam. Maybe it is a difference in our raw waters.

I use the Morton System Saver pellets.

I don't see the bottom area of your tank too clearly in your photo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks