Flux Taste in Water, with Water-Soluble Flux?

Users who are viewing this thread

zanman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently added a laundry sink and hookups to my basement (1/2" copper). I am now noticing the water from my kitchen faucet has a metallic after-taste that is very similar to the flux odor. I did some poking around and it sounds like others have had this issue as well, but only when using standard flux. For this (and other recent plumbing projects), I have always used Oatley water-soluble tinning flux.

The taste goes away if you just run the faucet for a few seconds, and I assume the issue will pass with time and enough flushing.I was just wondering if anyone else uses this flux and has had similar experiences. I will admit I tend to use a lot of flux to get connections to flow properly.

Edit: I forgot to add that i've flushed every fixture the house multiple times, but will still note the odor/taste if the system sits for a while with nothing running (overnight, or if we are gone for a weekend). Again, just flushing for a few seconds seems to clear the 'dirty' water.
30140_GHScomp.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the water from the laundry sink have the same taste? I was wondering about inferior flex lines on the kitchen sink hookup. Not likely, but maybe worth considering.

If it is flux, you might consider slowly dribbling water continuously for a while. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks