Flow Troubles bigger circulator or multiple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
Hello I have done allot of reading and studying still am struggling with the flow in my radiant heat system. I previously had it working great in my house then I got a bigger boiler and added my garage and am thinking I need a bigger pump

I currently have 9 loops of 3/4 pex Each within 10’ of 300’ to the manifolds
A pair of 5 loop manifolds one has house lines and the other has 4 garage lines I had it started last weekend with just my 9kw boiler but I found a 15kw a friend had so I switched to that and got it started up but it had a circulation pump on the bottom side so I just left it in place and am using my original taco 07 after the expansion tank My issue seems to be that I can only get flow to register through one of my manifolds at a time and when it flows it’s max if 1-2 when previously I was able to get more, and as soon as I try to turn open both manifolds I am not registering any flow on any meters
I would think just a bigger pump but since adding the just a different boiler I lost flow pressure. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks Nick Kendall

Attachments

• 527A05A0-E007-41AD-9B35-4C7F1E713678.jpeg
    527A05A0-E007-41AD-9B35-4C7F1E713678.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1D1D3731-91DA-4C96-B265-5415D30B5A25.jpeg
    1D1D3731-91DA-4C96-B265-5415D30B5A25.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 64D2DBFE-75CF-47E6-A799-F6C51F0ADB6F.jpeg
    64D2DBFE-75CF-47E6-A799-F6C51F0ADB6F.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 152
  • D5F350BA-E725-41A4-B369-0AA4340A3B92.jpeg
    D5F350BA-E725-41A4-B369-0AA4340A3B92.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 146

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
I do have a total of 10 90s that it must travel through between intake and return and 2 T s which i previously don’t have Previously there was only 3 90s

Nick Kendall

Reaction score

Fitter30

Reaction score
Top manifold right flow comes out the top of the boiler going to the manifold right after the shut off valve there's a strainer that looks like a y. Piping runs through it where the cap is there's a screen, flow runs through the center catches any dirt, water flows out. Know with reverse flow water runs from the outside of strainer to the inside and out. Flow is greater from inside to out. Notice the arrow in the link for flow.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-WYET075-3-4-Bronze-Wye-Strainer-Lead-Free-Threaded

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
Great I didn’t know there way a strainer I will pull them tomorrow.
I am not seeing which of mine is flowing backwards
Could you please point it out for me
In order to get any flow I have to almost have the adjusters maxed out and the blue ends wide open as well and still am only seeing 1 Would that be because of the extra 90’s and t s?

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
Two manifolds are supply and the two return are backwards the ones with the blue caps
Ok I think I understand since the water is coming through the return manifolds traveling up the lines to the manifold vs warm going down the lines So I need to switch the two blue y strainers to be flowing correct? Thanks for your help I plan on ordering that pump after Christmas Did I understand correct that it can adjust rate itself?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I know little about these systems but please answer these questions.

One pump each, one is on the output (hot) side and another on the return side? If the bottom is the return side and since it is connected with NMC cable, the rest is MC cable, was this pump was added after the original install? Was it to help with a circulation issue?

I see a pail of dirty water and a hose, was the system purged of air after the changing out? Was the expansion tank drained and pressure checked? Lately there have been a few posts where the pressure tanks failed and weird problems seem to result.

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
I know little about these systems but please answer these questions.

One pump each, one is on the output (hot) side and another on the return side? If the bottom is the return side and since it is connected with NMC cable, the rest is MC cable, was this pump was added after the original install? Was it to help with a circulation issue?

I see a pail of dirty water and a hose, was the system purged of air after the changing out? Was the expansion tank drained and pressure checked? Lately there have been a few posts where the pressure tanks failed and weird problems seem to result.
I just put the boiler in and it came with the pump still on the bottom From a friend I am not running that pump. I am only running the one after the expansion tank. Is the non running pump slowing or restricting?
Yes that bucket was of the water from when I was trying to fill the system. I can get it be bubble free and build 15lbs pressure and running but I just can’t get much flow ? I took and washed all 4 strainers there was some debris but it didn’t up my flow any
I wanted to flip my cold manifold y strainers around but they have a fitted end on one side that fits onto the manifold so I can’t do that Am I loosing much to that or anything else I should try before getting a bigger pump

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Remove that none working pump. Though it may seem to be no restrictions any water flowing through must turn the impeller and the motor.

Nick Kendall

Reaction score
Remove that none working pump. Though it may seem to be no restrictions any water flowing through must turn the impeller and the motor.
Thanks that’s exactly what I was wondering Would it be beneficial to run both pumps? I had read I didnt want one before the boiler for air issues but hadn’t removed it either

Fitter30

Reaction score
Ok I think I understand since the water is coming through the return manifolds traveling up the lines to the manifold vs warm going down the lines So I need to switch the two blue y strainers to be flowing correct? Thanks for your help I plan on ordering that pump after Christmas Did I understand correct that it can adjust rate itself?
No can remove them .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks