Flow Capacity (Cv) vs. GPM?

Users who are viewing this thread

TheGewp

Reaction score
Are they essentially the same when talking about a thermostatic valve? I am helping my sister repipe her house (1957 with original galvanized supply) and want to make sure we don't make the GPM worse with a valve that's too restrictive. Planning to install one for the whole house, rather than just the tub. Thanks!

TheGewp

Reaction score
Follow-up question, what is a normal GPM for a tub faucet?

Also, am i missing anything in this rough plan? The current galvanized supply has no expansion tank or anti-scald. Thanks!

Utility Room Pipe.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Seems good to me. You can run real hot to the dishwasher and washing machine if you want, and if it is easy enough to do. Otherwise you can run tempered water.

5 to 6 gpm is fairly typical for a tub spout, I think.

TheGewp

Reaction score
Seems good to me. You can run real hot to the dishwasher and washing machine if you want, and if it is easy enough to do. Otherwise you can run tempered water.

5 to 6 gpm is fairly typical for a tub spout, I think.

Most of the valves i'm seeing are pretty low Cv, which i'm finding is basically the same as GPM in a household system. The Honeywell i have been looking at is only 3.9 Cv. I'm concerned that will be a noticeable difference from the current supply. I dont have any experience with the thermostatic valves, all the houses i've worked on have been too old to have one. Is it pretty common for them to have a 2.5-4GPM flow? Or do they install the more expensive units that get 7+GPM in newer homes?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks