Fleck9000 lower piston replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYwannabe

Reaction score
I attempted to replace the upper and lower pistons on my fleck 9000 that were leaking. I initially replaced them both and restarted my system but noticed my softener was working. We had hard water, rust showing up in the toilet etc. I had a neighbor tell me that there is a certain deal/spacer configuration for the upper and lower pistons and that if it isn't perfect the system won't work. I took everything back apart and am attempting to reassemble everything correctly to see if that solves my issue. I'm having some trouble with the lower piston. The configuration I was told was (seal, special spacer, seal, spacer, seal, spacer, seal, spacer, seal, spacer, seal, end plug) Is that correct? I can't seem to fit the lower piston back in the lower valve bowl with this configuration as it seems too tight and I can't reattach the timer housing to the valve assembly because the lower piston seems to be sticking out too far. It would have help if I had paid better attention when taking the lower piston out the first time . Can someone confirm if my configuration for the lower piston is right and if this is a common reassembly problem for the lower piston? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The really old 9000 valves do not have the solid spacer. Do you know how old your valve is?
Here is a drawing, note the solid spacer (4) in the lower assembly.

Pay special attention to the brass machined spacer between the front and back seal/spacer stacks in the middle of the valve. if this is corroded it is time to replace the valve body. I would recommend the 9100 over the 9000. We primarily use the 9000 for hot water applications now.

9000 spacers.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks