Fleck 5810 XTR2 Recommended Configuration - Injector / BLFC

Users who are viewing this thread

topnitroracer

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just received a new Fleck 5810 XTR2 and I do not believe the company configured it correctly with injector and BLFC size. Nothing has been set up correctly in the menus - but that is much easier to figure out based on the manual and stuff already posted on this forum.

Here is some info

Fleck 5810 XTR2
2.5 cf of resin
13x54 Tank
Injector - Upflow, Violet/00 (Injector color matches sticker label on outside)
BLFC - 0.12, 0.37lb salt per min. (part matches sticker - 123 on BLFC)
DLFC - 90 deg, has "F 500 144" On the washer side. I have not seen different sized orifice fittings. Flow controlled by injector, correct?

Water pressure = 55-56psi at water heater downstream of softener with no flow demand.
Water hardness = 23gpg
Iron - pretty low. Need to test again to confirm exact level.
I will probably be targeting around 6-9lbs of salt per cubic foot. I will play around to figure out what works best for me .

I would have naturally expected a BLFC of 0.25 and at least a Red/White (0/1 size) injector for 2.5cf. This just seems small and would increase the regen time dramatically. Not sure if too low of flow rate actually hurts regen efficiency with higher CF/ tank sizes. My thought is the an is yes, larger tanks require more flow.

I know there is also talk about fleck/pentair injector recommendations might be larger than what we should be using. Based on the pentair recommendations I found for 2.5cf/13in tank, it would say yellow #3 injector and BLFC of 0.5. This is obviously much larger than what is currently installed in my valve.

Any help/insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would have naturally expected a BLFC of 0.25 and at least a Red/White (0/1 size) injector for 2.5cf. This just seems small and would increase the regen time dramatically. Not sure if too low of flow rate actually hurts regen efficiency with higher CF/ tank sizes. My thought is the an is yes, larger tanks require more flow.
A 0.125 injector does increase the BF time, but does not affect the time that the softener is in bypass. The brine fill is done with soft water after the softener is out of bypass. So no problem. At 7 lb/cuft, brine fill would be about
47 minutes.

With a #00 injector and 7 lb/cuft, Your brine draw itself would be about
39.6 minutes, you would want a brine draw between
119 and 159 minutes (3x to 4x the 39.6) to give the slow rinse time. That DOES increase the time that the softener is in bypass. With a white injector, you would draw the brine in about
26.9 minutes, then multiply that by about 3 to 4. With a red injector, 19.2 minutes. I should round the numbers, but I just gave you what my spreadsheet produces before rounding.

You have an XTR2, which is set up very differently than the SXT controller which I am familiar with.

tracker

Reaction score
You should try to target .5 gpm/sq.ft. of tank cross section. For your tank that means ~.461 gpm. In your pressure range, this would mean a #1 injector. Using an injector too small can result in "channeling" (Google it for an explanation).

The .125 gpm BLFC only controls the flow rate of water going to the brine tank for the next regeneration (brine fill for 40 minutes will give a 6 lbs/cu.ft. salt dose (40 min * .125 gal/min = 5 gal, 3 lbs/gal = 15 lbs, 15 lbs/2.5 cu.ft = 6 lbs/cu.ft.). The important thing here is that you do not go too big because the injector might limit the flow to the brine tank. I recommend you leave the .125 gpm in there. During those 40 minutes, there will be treated water going to the house still. Make sure the BLFC setting is correct on the control by entering master programming.

"DLFC - 90 deg, has "F 500 144" On the washer side. I have not seen different sized orifice fittings. Flow controlled by injector, correct?"
This means you have a 5.0 gpm flow control on the drain. This will limit backwash and rapid rinse to 5.0 gpm which is perfect for your size tank. The injector does not have anything to do with the DLFC (unless again you have a huge mismatch and the injector flows more than the DLFC).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Brine draw times can be set to a multitude of settings. In general slower is slightly more efficient. Here is a chart that will show you the upper end of efficiency potential. I would not recommend going any smaller on the injector than this chart shows.

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 710

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ditttohead, your chart seems to suggest a 13" tank is appropriate for 2.25 cuft of resin, not 2.5 as that quantity is shown matched with a 14" diameter tank.

Although it may be common, is 2.5 cuft technically too much for a 13" tank resulting in insufficient freeboard and backwash expansion, or am I misinterpreting the data?

I realize my question does not relate to topnitroracer's specific question, but since the chart has been included in this thread and as the resin quantity being questioned does relate to his tank size, I thought it appropriate to request clarification.

Reach4

Reaction score
My my spreadsheet, 2.455 cuft of resin in a 13x54 would have the same % freeboard as 1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Great question, you are forcing me to do a project I have been wanting to do for 5 years. I may do it this weekend, a simple spread sheet of the actual tank capacities... these number are open to interpretation, my charts will be based on pure math, no variables... Most systems are pushed a little, some are pushed a lot. A good example would be the 12x35 tanks, many companies use them with 1.5 cu. ft of resin, once the math is done, they are more appropriate for 1.25 or even slightly less but... many of these numbers are not as critical as they may seem. My spreadsheet for my next catalog will explain that... thanks for giving me a 10 hour project for this week. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks