Fleck 5810: Optimum Settings for my System

Users who are viewing this thread

Timspeed

Reaction score
First off I have to say thanks to this forum I think I’ve learned more about water softeners in the past two days then ever, haha.
My question is:
We got a water softener installed exactly one year ago; when the house was built...we never thought to “check it” other than watching the salt (which we added a bag just last month, just really “because”)
So, it turns out...the meter isn’t working (and maybe HASNT worked for a long time).
On top of this, going into the master programming; I saw that the regen cycle was based off the usage vs. timed...so in effect, ever since that meter quit working; it hasn’t regenerated...
I think we’ve noticed this because our shower head pressure has dropped recently and it’s got hard-water spots all over it.
I’m calling out the company that installed it; however since they never told us to check anything other than the salt; I’m kinda thinking they may be idiots. (Or I am for not thinking to look at it)
In any case; thinking about it; if the timed regen is set; then the meter not working isn’t TOO critical, because it’ll just regen at the specific time anyway?
Wanted to see what my optimum settings should be, so I can program them as I wait for the new meter.
Specs:
Water usage: ~250 gallons a day
Water hardness: 360ppm (or 21gpg)
Valve: Fleck 5810 SXT (1.25” turbine meter)
Tank Capacity: 36,000 grains
Brine Tank: 15” wide x 36” tall (probably 3/4 full of salt)
BLFC: 0.25 GPM / 1 Injector

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Valve: Fleck 5810 SXT (1.25” turbine meter)
I would first want to know if the turbine meter was ever installed. If you have a blank dome on the left where the turbine goes, that is a dummy used for timed filter applications. A turbine has recesses in its outside. If you have the dummy, the turbine you receive will look a lot different.
Fleck_meter_dummy.jpg

Lightly lube the o-rings with silicone grease each time you replace a unit. Not always needed, but it could help. Remember to release pressure before pulling the old turbine.

Tank Capacity: 36,000 grains
That could mean 1.125 cubic ft of resin. Or something else. What are the dimensions of your tank? 54x10, or what?

Last edited:

Timspeed

Reaction score
I would first want to know if the turbine meter was ever installed. If you have a blank dome on the left where the turbine goes, that is a dummy used for timed filter applications. A turbine has recesses in its outside. If you have the dummy, the turbine you receive will look a lot different.
Lightly lube the o-rings with silicone grease each time you replace a unit. Not always needed, but it could help. Remember to release pressure before pulling the old turbine.
That could mean 1.125 cubic ft of resin. Or something else. What are the dimensions of your tank? 54x10, or what?
I have one of the latest 5810’s, where it has the “easy clips” (the blue things)..it COULD very well be a “dummy” turbine; however when I looked at the master programming, it wasn’t setup with Timed Regeneration...so basically it would have NEVER regen’d (and it honestly may never have!)
I know the “sensor” is good because I used a magnet against it and the water usage count dropped by a gallon.
I would say 54”x10” sounds about right for the resin tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have one of the latest 5810’s, where it has the “easy clips” (the blue things)..it COULD very well be a “dummy” turbine; however when I looked at the master programming, it wasn’t setup with Timed Regeneration...so basically it would have NEVER regen’d (and it honestly may never have!)
They all have the blue clips.

The DO setting would then determined how long it would be between regens if you are missing the turbine wheel. There is no indication from the controller that you are missing the turbine, other than it not showing flow.

What is your software version (not that it matters for this situation)?

Timspeed

Reaction score
They all have the blue clips.

The DO setting would then determined how long it would be between regens if you are missing the turbine wheel. There is no indication from the controller that you are missing the turbine, other than it not showing flow.

What is your software version (not that it matters for this situation)?
I’m at work now I’ll have to look when I get home.
But if the DO swtting was set to OFF..would that have damaged anything?

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m at work now I’ll have to look when I get home.
But if the DO swtting was set to OFF..would that have damaged anything?
You would have some catching up to do. Maybe 2 regens in a row if you don't have iron. Maybe some additional cleaning if you do.

Timspeed

Reaction score
You would have some catching up to do. Maybe 2 regens in a row if you don't have iron. Maybe some additional cleaning if you do.
I’ll have to get my iron levels shortly; but I did a regen last night (forced) and I can do one again...
I’d still like to set the optimum settings; if you’d kindly help me with that...

Reach4

Reaction score
If city water, iron is zero by the time it gets to your house. You probably have a well.

Timspeed

Reaction score
@Reach4
Can you verify my settings?
I did a few manual regeneration’s and my flow meter is working now...
The softener tank is definitely 10”x54” (assuming 1.5cuft Resin / 48k grains)
All other specs above:

Fleck 5810SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5810 ; Valve type
RF = dF1b ; Downflow, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
C = 36 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 22 ; Hardness grains after comp factor
RS = cr ; Cr = base reserve on recent experience
DO = 30 ; Day Override (typ 30 if no iron/Mn)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
B1 = 5 ; Backwash 1 (minutes) [3...10]
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 14 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t1.2 (usual) ; t1.2 is default flow meter
RE = OFF ; Relay
VR = OFF ; ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks