Fleck 5600SXT Filling Brine Tank During Rapid Rinse

Users who are viewing this thread

imadunatic

Reaction score
Any ideas? Installed the system 2 weeks ago, seemed to be ok and this morning we woke to salty service water (which was the reason I replaced the 15 year old kinetico, it required constant cleaning otherwise you would have brine in the service water every time it regen'd).

My investigation revealed about 16" of water in the brine tank so I dumped it out and cycled through each phase to determine what was going on, to my amazement it started filling the brine tank as soon as it started the RR cycle and continued to fill it during the BF phase which meant essentially 16 minutes of BF, and the rapid rinse actually routing to the brine tank, not to the resin bed.

Any ideas? I have contacted the seller, but I see a ton of experience with this valve on this forum (the reason I bought it actually) and I'm hoping someone has an idea. My technical level is about as high as it gets, so tearing into this (and getting it back together correctly) is no problem.

The picture I attached is the tank after the RR cycle before the BF even starts, definitely an issue!

Thanks for any and all help.

Kevin

Attachments

• 20180818_104948.jpg
    20180818_104948.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,189

imadunatic

Reaction score
Should water be flowing into the brine tank during rapid rinse?

It's drawing during BD just fine, but it's filling during RR also.

EDIT: Drain is functioning well, full flow with no blockages or issues.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Rapid Rinse only flows down through the resin bed to 'repack' the resin bed after brine draw and slow rinse. The only time water should flow into the brine tank is during Brine Fill.

I suggested the other thread mostly to have you understand the troubleshooting proceedures and as a link to the videos. Since you are experiencing water flow to the brine port during a cycle with no usual connection to the brine port, your issue is more likely with one of the piston seals but it wouldn't hurt to clean the injector assembly and check the drain regardless.

Reach4

Reaction score
In your programming, what is the VT setting. Usually that would be dF1b.

I think the Brine Valve would prevent that flow. Check that it appears to be operating correctly.

imadunatic

Reaction score
Ok, pulled the injector assembly, all looks brand new (in service ~2 weeks). However, it appears I have a timing issue. I took a couple pics of the state of the gears/actuator assembly and it's definitely not in the right spot at the right time. During brine fill the brine fill valve isn't even open and no water is going to the brine tank, only during rapid rinse and it's flowing to the brine tank under fairly high pressure for 10 minutes.

How does the controller know the position of the valves/gears? Is there a sensor or is it all just time based? There isn't really a way to get the timing of individual gears off (there are notches that must time out between the gears) but I'm assuming they must all be in a certain position during assembly otherwise the controller could think it was in RR mode while the gears were actually in BF mode.

Attachments

• Image 030.jpg
    Image 030.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Image 031.jpg
    Image 031.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 592

imadunatic

Reaction score

imadunatic

Reaction score
Thank you both!

I learned a ton about how this controller works troubleshooting this. Unbelievably easy to work on also (I did not feel this way about my kinetico that required semi annual cleaning to not dump brine in the service water).

Baubas

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks