Fix pex a expansion?

Users who are viewing this thread

cm2785

Reaction score
Hi guys I have 1/2 I believe pex a in my RV and there is a 90 deg fitting in my shower for the faucet and it’s not a place I can easily get to nor can I just cut the pex as it is perfect size.. there is just a little water seeping through the connection and I was wondering if there is anyway I can fix this fitting? Water is coming from the top of the blue ring slowly, I was thinking about heating it or maybe heating it and then putting a hose clamp on it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 41

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hose clamp might work, I never tried patch up on pex . Cut out and replace the bad is only proper fix Well I suppose a heat gun would be proper ok but supposedly type A has a memory and goes back Wouldnt hurt to try heat

cm2785

Reaction score
Hose clamp might work, I never tried patch up on pex . Cut out and replace the bad is only proper fix Well I suppose a heat gun would be proper ok but supposedly type A has a memory and goes back Wouldnt hurt to try heat
Thanks! I heated it up barely with the blow dryer last night and this morning it didn’t leak on the water pump so I relieved the pressure again and I’m going to wait a day or so before I try it on city water but if it does leak again I am going to try a heat gun first.

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with worm gear hose clamp over the outside ring.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'd try some heat first and then a clamp if heat doesn't work as others suggested, but I'm suspicious of an expansion PEX A fitting leak that didn't leak when first made but does now. I can't help but wonder if it's not an early sign of pipe splitting.

If you do try a clamp, don't tighten too much - it shouldn't require anything more than a bit of help and you don't want to split the fitting.

John

Now that I think about it, who has blue expansion rings??

Last edited:

cm2785

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am going to put city water pressure to it soon and if it starts to leak (dribble) again then I’ll have to put some heat to it but at that point how much heat should I put to it? Thanks again!!

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
how much heat should I put to it?

You don't want it to smoke - at that point it would be compromised. If you don't trust yourself with a heat gun, use a good quality hair dryer.

I know it's tight in there, but if you can get up close and have good hands, you can cut off the expansion ring without dinging the pipe, heat the pipe at the fitting and slide if off the fitting to check to see if the fitting itself has a burr or other defect. If not, clean up the fitting, put on a new expansion ring, and re-expand the pipe to make the fitting again.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I personally learned the hardway cutting pex off barb The tyniest and I mean so small will leak .
you might try to see if the pex will move if cut (befor cutting) it might have lots of slop to cut discard the leaky crap and replace . I cant tell from pic

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks