Fitting wye in existing PVC drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

JLM34

Reaction score
Pretty basic question, but I've never done this so I'll have to ask. I need to cut out a section of 4" PVC and install a wye so that I can connect my new 3" drain line to the main line. I'm fine with going 3" to 4", but my question is how to fit the wye in the existing pipe. This pipe is 3.5-4 ft deep. I guess the logical thing to do is somehow dig around enough so that you could lift both sections of the main line enough to somehow fit the wye in, but I don't see this happening. That's going to be some serious excavation to be able to get a 4" pipe to budge any when it's 4 feet deep. What are my options? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to excavate the ENTIRE 4" line before you could "buck" any fitting into the line. You glue to short stubs into the "Y", cut out section that length, then insert the fitting into the line using the proper "insertion" couplings.

Widdershins

Reaction score
Pretty basic question, but I've never done this so I'll have to ask. I need to cut out a section of 4" PVC and install a wye so that I can connect my new 3" drain line to the main line. I'm fine with going 3" to 4", but my question is how to fit the wye in the existing pipe. This pipe is 3.5-4 ft deep. I guess the logical thing to do is somehow dig around enough so that you could lift both sections of the main line enough to somehow fit the wye in, but I don't see this happening. That's going to be some serious excavation to be able to get a 4" pipe to budge any when it's 4 feet deep. What are my options? Thanks.

Since it's outdoors and buried below grade, you can use Fernco couplings to make the transition.

Cut out enough piping to facilitate both the wye and two 7 or 8 inch stubs glued into both ends of the wye and then reassemble with the Fernco's. The Fernco's will slide a lot easier if you spray them with soapy water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Widdershins

Reaction score
You would have to excavate the ENTIRE 4" line before you could "buck" any fitting into the line. You glue to short stubs into the "Y", cut out section that length, then insert the fitting into the line using the proper "insertion" couplings.

Exactly what is an insertion coupling?

JLM34

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Still can't picture how this all fits together, but that gives me a starting point.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An "insertion" coupling could be a Fernco, or a "No-Hub" coupling (although they are not REALLY made for plastic pipes), or a Pro-Flex coupling sized for plastic, or any of several other brands depending on what is available in your area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks