Filter or RO in the kitchen to solve chalky-tasting water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
The water, even through a Brita filter, tastes a little chalky, which I've mostly remedied by filling a tapper in the fridge and putting a few drops of lemon juice in the water.

It would be nice to be able to drink the water directly from the tap.

I don't know if I need a full RO system. What little chalky/hard buildup we get in the coffee maker and electric kettle should be solved with the new water softener we're getting soon.

My understanding is that Brita uses a simple charcoal filter. That means that charcoal isn't entirely enough to fix the water, so what sort of filter do I need to get the chalky flavor out?
EDIT: and where would you recommend I get the filter? It would be nice if it's an easy to get/common filter. We're only two people in the house.

OR - should I wait and see how the water is after the new water softener is installed?

Frankly, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Brita and have a large filter under the sink instead with a little separate tap. I like fewer things cluttering up my counters.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water is made hard by the inclusion of dissolved minerals calcium and magnesium carbonate. Since 'chalk' is made from calcium carbonate, it would stand to reason that hard water may taste somewhat 'chalky'. Some people may be more sensitive to the taste than others.

A carbon filter is capable of removing or reducing many contaminants from water, but it will not remove calcium or magnesium. For that, a water softener will be needed. Since you plan to install a water softener but remain unsure if you want an RO system, I then suggest you reassess the water after the softener is installed to decide if further filtration is desired.

If you want to eliminate the Brita for removing chlorine and other tastes and odours, you could consider a larger capacity carbon filter mounted under the sink. A separate low flow faucet for the filtered water would help to ensure the carbon's effective flow rate will not be exceeded so the majority of contaminants can be removed by the carbon.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/186-187

Last edited:

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
Yeah, the water softener we have is an oooooold (came with the house) WEHS40. It's cranked up to 35 and we still get a small amount of deposits in the kettle and coffee maker, and I scheduling a replacement soon (demand-regen unit, Clack valve with Empress tank unit from a local outfit).

Knock on wood, that will solve the chalky issue completely. I don't get any chlorine smells or taste in the water, so I think I'm good there.

Thanks for your comment - I'll hold off with additional filtration until after the new softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks