Fiberglass Tub Drain Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Garrett_N

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am working on finishing my basement and just installed a one piece fiberglass tub. I am having trouble getting the rubber washer to seal to the bottom of the tub due to a chunk missing from the fiberglass around the opening on the bottom.

bottom.jpg

top.jpg

I wish I would have noticed it before I had the tub set in mortar, so I could get at it a bit easier. But since I'm past that point, what are my options? Is there some way I can fill in the missing piece in the fiberglass? Do I sand it with my palm sander until it is sanded out? I'm afraid sanding it would make the fiberglass around the drain pretty thin. Any other ideas/options?

BTW, this is my first post here. I really appreciate the forum and have found a lot of helpful posts for other things I've done.

Thanks,
Garrett

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll vote for JBWeld also. Mix it up and slather it into the bad spot then do a mock install of the drain parts to press it down flush while the epoxy is still pliable. In a few minutes, take it back apart and install it normally with the putty and dope.

BTW, you could install it without fixing it, but once the putty dries up and cracks ten years down the road, it will surely start leaking then.

So, if the bank is taking the house, go with plan B.

Garrett_N

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Bought some JB Waterweld today and will give that a try. I've seen Terry comment on a few people's tub drain questions and he advised not putting anything on the threads, so I'm planning on just having the rubber gasket to make the seal. That's assuming the JBWeld works. I will use some putty around the top of the strainer, so water doesn't leak there when the stopped is engaged. Let me know if you think this is off.

DIYChad

Reaction score
How did the JB Waterweld work out for you? I bought a house with a fiberglass tub that is now leaking from the drain, but mine appears to be more severe than the situation you have here.

Edit: For anyone else who finds this thread like I did, I tried this solution and it worked for my defective fiberglass tub. Details in this thread:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....defective-fiberglass-tub-drain-opening.81525/

Attachments

• OZcamLALTia9sTTl44Gxjg.jpg
    OZcamLALTia9sTTl44Gxjg.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks