Feedback on DWV plans?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jds, Apr 21, 2020.

1. jds

jds New Member

First off, hi. I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. I'm in the process of a renovating my 100-year old house, which includes changing the floor plan and moving the bathroom on the main floor. I'm hoping to be ready to start the rough plumbing in a couple of weeks and wanted to draw on all of the wisdom here to see if my plans make sense and pass code (UPC).

A couple of (probably) useful notes:
    • The house is one-floor plus a basement. There is a basement bath that we are not touching at all. It has its own 2" vent (shown on the diagram)
    • There is currently a 4" drain/vent stack. The vent portion runs through what will be a hallway, so can't be kept as is. We're planning to tie the new bathroom drains into the 4" drain, and connect the new vents to the 4" vent in the roof (hence some of the circuitous vent routes in the attic).
    • The kitchen sink has it's own vent (1.5") and separate drain connection (2") which are not on the diagram.
    • The 3" vent from the bathroom is excessive, but required to meet the UPC requirement that total vent area equals drain area
    • I'm running separate parallel drains for each bathroom fixture to avoid drilling through (or dropping below) the 2x8 floor joists
    Does this all look kosher? Any ideas to improve or simplify things? Thanks so much!

-Jeff plumbingIsometric.jpg

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Can you do this and wet vet the whole bathroom off the vanity, or are you running in joist

Attached Files:

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Attached Files:

4. jds

jds New Member

I'm running in between the joists and since they're only 2x8 I don't have much room to bore

5. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

You can wet vent your toilet with the vanity if you run the drain above and over to the toilet joist

Attached Files:

6. jds

jds New Member

Wet venting is still sort of black magic to me so I want to make sure I understand. Is this diagram right? And what sort of fittings would you use to connect the wet vent to the toilet drain? Thanks! plumbingIsometric_wetVent.jpg

7. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Run the drain for vanity above floor

Attached Files:

8. jds

jds New Member

Awesome! I think I understand this. It's basically just draining the vanity through the toilet's vent. So the whole thing would look like the attached diagram, right? That definitely simplifies things. Any potential issues you see that I may have missed on this? Thanks again plumbingIsometric_wetVent.jpg

9. jds

jds New Member

So, this project ended up taking far longer than expected, but I've finished and just passed the rough inspection this morning! I wanted to thank you all for the advice on this. Here are a few pics of how it turned out in real life

IMG_3026.jpg IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3026.jpg IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3028.jpg IMG_3029.jpg IMG_3030.jpg