Extending gas pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

GizzyGone

Reaction score
I’m replacing my water heater, but the new one has a larger footprint.

This necessitates moving supply lines around.

I’m curious how much affect adding two 90* elbows, and 2 feet of pipe would harm gas flow? I’ve been reading about gas pipe calculations, but it doesn’t specify how elbows affect flow (if at all).

This tank is also 50k Btu vs the 40k I replaced.

The main reason to add the elbows and nipples is to extend the supply over, while avoiding a drain pipe from a toilet above.

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ has that ability, if you would want to use it. However
img_2.png

I was hoping to find a simple rule of thumb such as a 1 inch elbow is equivalent to 4 ft of straight pipe. This search turns up info:
gas elbows "natural gas" "equivalent length"

You will see calculations of K and L, but not clear pictures of what they represent. I was hoping to find simpler.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m replacing my water heater, but the new one has a larger footprint.

This necessitates moving supply lines around.

I’m curious how much affect adding two 90* elbows, and 2 feet of pipe would harm gas flow? I’ve been reading about gas pipe calculations, but it doesn’t specify how elbows affect flow (if at all).

This tank is also 50k Btu vs the 40k I replaced.

The main reason to add the elbows and nipples is to extend the supply over, while avoiding a drain pipe from a toilet above.
Don't worry about it, I do it all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks