expansion joints

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am Putting a sidewalk Around the deck and side of my house. I am doing it in small sections (8ft) at a time. I was wondering if I need to put expansion joints in between each pour since technically each pour will be between 2 structures.

Thank You.

P.S. Iknow it would be a lot easier to get concrete hauled in an do it all at once, but this is just something I want to do as I get spare time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some 25 years ago, I had a concrete driveway poured. Of course this is much larger than a sidewalk, but the contractor separated the sections with outdoor treated 2x4s. They lasted pretty well until I replaced them this past summer. While it was a miserable job to chisel the old boards out, it's only a once in 25 years job. I used a sacrificial 1" wood chisel, crow bar, a couple of hammers, and several gallons of sweat.:D When I put the new boards in the slots, I first used my planer to shave 1/16" off of each side of the new boards. I think the well defined sections look very nice.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how big this slab will be but if it's restrained from moving on opposite sides (you say it's between two structures) then you will need expansion joints.

And use expansion joint material made for the job. Pressure treated lumber won't compress enough to prevent damage from expanding concrete that is confined from expanding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks