Ejector pump noise: bad check valve or normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

hwydave

Reaction score
Greetings,

This is an interesting site and I am glad I found it.

I just moved to my first house with basement. I can hear this loud bang noise whenever the ejector pump finished ejecting the sewer. The pipe is copper and so the noise is even more noticeable. From what I have researched so far, the noise is just the check valve doing its job and it is unavoidable. I ask some plumber about the noise and they told me, without coming to my place, that I need to have my check valve replace. My question is that how do I know if the noise is normal or the check valve is bad? :confused: The house is 13 years old. I am not sure when the ejector pump was installed, but it looks like it has been that long also.

Thanks for your responds.

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
cv_inst.gif

Depending on which type of check valve it is , it may be normal. I usually install a Fernco Check valve which is alot more quiet. http://www.fernco.com/CV.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

hwydave

Reaction score
Thank you, jeffreyhel.

I can deal with the noise, but I just want to have some knowledge before call a plumber in for inspection (too many bad experiences with plumber).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

A check valve with a metal disc is going to be noisy when it closes. Use one similar to the Zoeller ejector pump check with a rubber flapper and it will still make a noise, but a lot less.