Dumawall or other glue on tiles..opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucky

Reaction score
https://dumawall-us.com/

thinking about putting back my 42 x 42 shower that i ripped out due to the walls disintegrating. its down to the studs now.

i dont want a 200 dollar cheapo surround and i dont want to try to tile since i never did it before. ran across these tiles that you use kwik seal ultra on the cement board. 90 percent of the 90 people on amazon love these. i watched a vid on youtube that says trim is available but ive also read they only sell 94 inch trim and its very expensive and you in the end you pay as much as trim as in the wall. but my guess is you can just use caulk. i havent dug that far into the product.

just curious your opinion of them or other glue up tiles like this. im open to other suggestions as well for a newbie. a few years ago i got an estimate for a pro do to the shower and it was about 4400 which was way too high for me.

Installation
in environments exposed to a direct
flow of water (shower, mud room or
garage) require a 1/8-inch bead of DAP®
Kwik Seal Ultra be placed inside both
grooves on every tile (image A). Add a
bead of silicone along recently cut
edges (see instructions below) to be
placed into the corner."

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It might work. It might not. One thing missing from their data sheet is an ICC specification that says it passes the plumbing code for use in a shower.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That one might, but they must pay the testing agency to evaluate it, and that evaluation needs to be renewed every two years. They may have done it, but it doesn't show on their data sheet. Call them.

PVC isn't the hardest material out there and is fairly easy to scratch. Being on a wall, that may not be a big issue, but you still would need to be careful about what cleaning products you use on it.

Generally, glue up tile-like panels in a shower aren't a big thing. Now, could that product work...I don't know. When you're relying on the installer placing a bead of caulk as your waterproofing, that sort of scares me especially when they say it's okay over wallboard (I assume drywall). Code prohibits that unless there's a test report saying it works in a shower, otherwise, drywall is specifically excluded there.

You might check out www.johnbridge.com where they have a lot more pros that build showers. They may have some other insight.

Lucky

Reaction score
yes it does say

Appropriate
substrates would include framed walls with existing tile, drywall,
cement board, OSB, plywood, etc. DumaWall panels must be attached
to structures that comply with your local building codes and have
incorporated appropriate moisture abatement measures.

i dont have drywall so no issues there. would be putting up cement board in the shower. was also contemplating maybe in my tub surround too or even the rest of my bathroom . just trying to figure out all the possiblities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks