Drywall compound recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Need to do a couple of rooms worth of drywall finishing. I'd prefer pre-mixed drywall compound, anyone have any preferred type? I gather from the little research I've done the USG Lightweight is popular.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good question I only do a little patch here and there. Generally on big jobs they use one mud for setting the tape another for second and additional coats

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done a lot of drywall projects, but I don't have enough experience to say whether I prefer one brand over another but I've used premixed and i've used dry powder. Premixed is good if you intend to use the entire batch in a short period of time. It can dry out and it can get moldy if it sits around.

Mudding takes skill and patience to get good results. Lots of thin layers that dry fast rather than thick layers that end up shrinking and cracking. Buy quality knives and a good stainless tray. Keep all your tools clean and wiped down with WD40 to prevent rusting if your knives aren't stainless.. or maybe even if they are. stainless rusts too, just less.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
not just the brand but Im assuming USG makes a mud that isnt lightwight dont know if thgat makes a differance either .
Ive that using powder is way worse if it gets wet any time in the future cant confirm but if a wet location Id check into that befor using the hot mud

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Carpenter I worked for loved using hot mud.. But it sets off fast and its difficult to sand down.

Its good for making repairs.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
The low dust stuff. Guess it's USG. (from homedepot) I'm on my 4th pail in 18 months or so. It keeps well and sands well.

I usually spray inside the bucket with water when I get a glob out. Current bucket has been going since early last fall.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The low dust stuff. Guess it's USG. (from homedepot) I'm on my 4th pail in 18 months or so. It keeps well and sands well.

I usually spray inside the bucket with water when I get a glob out. Current bucket has been going since early last fall.
Yeah, at the end of a project if we had mud in the bucket we would flatten it and top it with enough water to cover the mud to keep it from drying out.

Eman85

Reaction score
After reading replies here and doing some research I was sure I wasn't buying mix it yourself which is considered hot mud. in looking at what comes premixed I went with the most popular lightweight compound from USG. The one thing I can say is that bucket ain't light weight!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, its heavier than water at 8 pounds per gallon.

Dry mixtures can come in any chemistry from topping mix to 5 min hot mud. The thing I liked about dry was that it had less air in it after I mix it myself in small batches. Premix will have a lot of air that I would need to get out with a paddle mixer and again in my tray sometimes.

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
After reading replies here and doing some research I was sure I wasn't buying mix it yourself which is considered hot mud. in looking at what comes premixed I went with the most popular lightweight compound from USG. The one thing I can say is that bucket ain't light weight!
The are two main types of pre-mixed drywall compound, each has a different purpose. Talking specifically about USG products, the "All Purpose" compound is intended for bedding the tape in the joint, i.e. it is used first to prefill all of the joints (and let dry) and then to bed the tape in the joint. This mud dries harder than the "Plus 3" or lightweight compound, so it's not ideal for use on your 2nd and 3rd coats, or for coating nail/screw heads. After the tape is installed, then you use Plus 3 on the next 2 coats, or however many coats you need to get the finish you are looking for.

As I learned from research and experience, even pre-mixed mud in a bucket needs to be mixed before use. I also typically thin the mud by adding some water before mixing. It helps with spreading -- just don't over water.

When I mix the Plus 3 - here is what I have found provides good consistency and smooth finish. Add 2-1/8 cups of water to a 5 gallon bucket and mix. Another tip I learned from watching pro videos and reading forum threads, is to add a squirt of dishwashing liquid to the bucket along with the water before mixing. This does two things: 1). provides smoother finish when troweling with the drywall knife, and 2). in my area, where it is really humid, it acts as an anti-mold agent and keeps the mud from going bad if it sits for a few weeks between uses. I've actually been able to go up to 6 months.

I only ever buy (1) plastic bucket. After that, I just buy the box, and put the contents in the bucket. Saves a few bucks.

I'm not a pro, and it takes me longer to tape and float than a pro, but I've gotten good enough that my walls are actually smooth - no texture. I've attached a few pictures from my most recent remodel in a bedroom. One picture shows a wall in progress, the other two show walls after they have been primed with Sherwin William PVA Drywall Primer, which in my experience, is THE BEST primer to use. The quality of primer makes a huge difference in the finish coat of paint -- which BTW still requires two coats.

Lastly... if you want to learn how to DIY drywall, I recommend watching The Vancouver Carpenter on YT.

Attachments

• 20230201_201402.jpg
    20230201_201402.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230128_185817.jpg
    20230128_185817.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230201_201320.jpg
    20230201_201320.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Im not doing any dry wall nor plan to anytime soon but like to see how stuff is done. Ive only bought boxes about all I do except very rarely are patches where I bust open to fix plumbing. I definately could use a tune up on my dry wall skills or lack of!

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Im not doing any dry wall nor plan to anytime soon but like to see how stuff is done. Ive only bought boxes about all I do except very rarely are patches where I bust open to fix plumbing. I definately could use a tune up on my dry wall skills or lack of!
For patching holes and not having to do a lot of blending because of the tape, research "California Drywall Patch" on YT. Pros laugh at this method because of the time it takes vs their skill to tape, float and blend, but I like the end product better.

I've used this method to repair holes from door handles, i.e. when someone fails to put in a doorstop and when having to fish new wires in walls.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Need to do a couple of rooms worth of drywall finishing. I'd prefer pre-mixed drywall compound, anyone have any preferred type? I gather from the little research I've done the USG Lightweight is popular.
I like the pre mixed CGC low dust stuff for my diy projects. I get good results and it is easier on the lungs. I also wear a respirator for sanding.

Eman85

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies.
I wear a mask when sanding but I can say that the compound sand pretty easy and the dust falls and isn't too bad. Been using a sanding sponge which I really like. Thinning the compound works well for me and makes it a lot easier to get it to do what I want it to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks