Dropped metal object in dryer lint trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Milka89

Reaction score
I accidentally dropped a pair of metal [eyebrow] tweezers in the lint trap of my dryer. (It's a washer/dryer combo laundry centre and came already stacked). The tweezers fell to the bottom of the dryer and are out of reach. What happens if I leave them there?

Thank you for any advice!

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
You want a "magnetic flexible magnetic pick up tool". You can search on Amazon. Usually you can snake it down the chute and the magnet should be able to snag the twisters, if they are metal.

upload_2021-4-3_13-9-39.png
upload_2021-4-3_13-9-39.png

Reach4

Reaction score
The tweezers fell to the bottom of the dryer and are out of reach. What happens if I leave them there?
Out of sight?

Probably nothing bad happens if you leave the tweezers there, but its worth trying to remove.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Just tie a magnet to a string and lower down.

I would think the magnet would stick to the metal conduit on the way down. Maybe wrapping the magnet in several layers of duct tape leaving only the bottom exposed might allow the magnet to drop into the innards. Of course, there's always the possibility of the magnet snagging and living forever inside the dryer..

John

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well hopefully they can just access the front panel remove and remove lint tray. look up on any appliances repair site usually pretty simple. Few screws and a few clips!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flexible wand magnet will likely do the trick but can be tricky to get past the metal of the machine itself. I work on my own vintage VW bus and drop screws and stuff all the time so I have a few custom made magnets. The grabber pincer tool that is also listed in the Link that Worth posted is a great tool too.. but what I do is grab a very strong neodymium magnet with it and use that as the magnetic tool.

I recently cleaned out the lint from our shop dryer.. WOW did i pull out a lot of weird stuff.. I used a shop vac with the crevice tool of my Car Cleaning kit.. but then to get further down, I taped a 24" section of flexible tube (in my case 1/2" PEX tubing) to the wand and sucked out even more from deep inside.

Milka89

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the replies! I tracked down a magnetic pick up tool at my local Canadian Tire, and planned to go there tonight, but I too was wondering if it could damage the wires and metal parts inside of the dryer. After reading the additional comments just now, I decided not to risk it. I made an appointment with a technician on Wednesday so I will just let them take it apart if they need to