Dripping pressure relief valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Mooch91

Reaction score
All:

40/60 well pump setup, confirmed pressures with multiple gauges.

I have installed a 75 psi PRV on the system. My problem is that at least once every couple of years it starts dripping from the valve. Thankfully it's easy to replace, but this time around I only got about 8 months from the PRV.

Any ideas why it's doing this? Any issues with pressure or dynamics of the well system that could be causing it? Water is fairly clean coming through, with hardness of about 15 grains per gallon.

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What does the valve your having trouble with look like? Not sure what you mean by PRV. That usually means pressure reducing valve. Which is different from a relief valve.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if that is dripping then something is causing a spike in pressure and causing it to unseat. It's either not reseating because of gunk or its a cheap valve and needs bumped back into the seat. The one linked above doesn't look very easy to clean.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably just set to close to 60 PSI. Take off the little cap and tighten the adjustment screw until it stops leaking. You probably also have water hammer from the pump cycling on and off too much, which will make a PRV pop off. Water hammer and cycling problems go away when you have a Cycle Stop Valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks