draining supply lines

Users who are viewing this thread

peltaz

Reaction score
After shutting off the water, how do you completely drain the supply lines of a one story house? There really are no faucets or spigots that are significantly lower in elevation than the others. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bsperr

Reaction score
I would open the hose bib outside to get most of the water out, and then just be ready with a bucket if you're cutting into the line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may have to fashion up a way to use an air compressor to get (most of) the water out. Unless a house is specifically plumbed to drain (like you may want for an occasional use cabin), it is nearly impossible to get all of the water out of all of the lines. If the goal is to prevent freezing, that may be the only way.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air is the only practical way I know of. You can rent a compressor if this is a one time operation, or you could buy a small compressor. I would get one with a tank. Be sure to open all faucets before applying pressure.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Remember to open more than one tap to get air in the system when you are draining it down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks